Paint.net crash after opening

Okay so when i try to open paint.net i get this message:

paint.net crash
Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application
if you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue

../Direct2D/D2DRednerTarget.cpp (286) : hr =
m-pRednerTarget>EndDraw(d2dTag1, d2dTag2):.

Specs:
GTX 1060 3gb msi
I5-4440 
12gb ram 
Windows 10 64 bit

Thank you

Error:
System.ArgumentException: ..\Direct2D\D2DRenderTarget.cpp (286) : hr = m_pRenderTarget->EndDraw(&d2dTag1, &d2dTag2);
   at PaintDotNet.Interop.InteropErrorInfo.ThrowIfError() in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Interop\InteropErrorInfo.cs:line 89
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.NativeUtilities.ThrowOnErrorImpl(Int32 hr, SByte* szHr, IUnknown* pFxErrorInfo)
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.Direct2D.D2DRenderTarget.EndDraw(Tag& tag1, Tag& tag2)
   at PaintDotNet.Direct2D.RenderTargetExtensions.EndDraw(IRenderTarget renderTarget) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Direct2D\RenderTargetExtensions.cs:line 18
   at PaintDotNet.Disposable.ActionDisposable.Dispose(Boolean disposing) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Disposable.cs:line 62
   at PaintDotNet.Disposable.Dispose() in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Disposable.cs:line 307
   at PaintDotNet.ComponentModel.RefTrackedObject.DisposeCore(Boolean disposing) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\ComponentModel\RefTrackedObject.cs:line 411
   at PaintDotNet.ComponentModel.RefTrackedObject.ReleaseRef(Object refOwner, Boolean disposing) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\ComponentModel\RefTrackedObject.cs:line 560
   at PaintDotNet.ComponentModel.RefTrackedObject.Dispose() in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\ComponentModel\RefTrackedObject.cs:line 347
   at PaintDotNet.Disposable.StructuredUsing[T,TResult](T autoObject, Func`2 action) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Disposable.cs:line 274
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.PdnPushButton.MeasureAndDraw(Graphics g, Boolean enableDrawing, PdnPushButtonState buttonState, Boolean drawFocusCues, Boolean drawKeyboardCues) in D:\src\pdn\src\Framework\Controls\PdnPushButton.cs:line 199
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.PdnPushButton.OnPaintPushButton(Graphics g, PdnPushButtonState buttonState, Boolean drawFocusCues, Boolean drawKeyboardCues) in D:\src\pdn\src\Framework\Controls\PdnPushButton.cs:line 188
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.PdnPushButtonBase.OnPaintButton(Graphics g, Boolean drawFocusCues, Boolean drawKeyboardCues) in D:\src\pdn\src\Framework\Controls\PdnPushButtonBase.cs:line 208
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.PdnButtonBase.OnGdiPaintFrame(GdiPaintContext ctx) in D:\src\pdn\src\Framework\Controls\PdnButtonBase.cs:line 77
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.GdiBufferedAnimationControl.PaintCachedFrame(IntPtr& hCachedBitmap, RectInt32 updateRect, IntPtr hdcCompat) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer\GdiBufferedAnimationControl.cs:line 223
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.GdiBufferedAnimationControl.OnGdiPaint(GdiPaintContext ctx) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer\GdiBufferedAnimationControl.cs:line 121
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.GdiPaintHandler.OnWmPaint(Message& m) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer\GdiPaintHandler.cs:line 184
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.GdiPaintHandler.RelayWndProc(Message& m) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer\GdiPaintHandler.cs:line 233
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.GdiBufferedAnimationControl.WndProc(Message& m) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer\GdiBufferedAnimationControl.cs:line 103
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

10 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

everyone on there is saying to use the built in intel graphics but that only works for laptops and i am using a desktop

this only started happening after a windows 10 update

Edited by Existifyy

I would recommend making sure all your updates are insalled: Windows updates, and NVIDIA driver updates, especially.

Then make sure you don't have any overclocking or "overlay" programs running. Even things like Discord Overlay have been causing a ton of problems with Paint.NET crashing lately. Disabling the overlay has always fixed up Paint.NET. The overclocking programs tend to inject framerate counters into Direct3D games, intending to give gamers a nice way to view performance, but that also affects Direct2D apps like Paint.NET.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

16 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

I would recommend making sure all your updates are insalled: Windows updates, and NVIDIA driver updates, especially.

Then make sure you don't have any overclocking or "overlay" programs running. Even things like Discord Overlay have been causing a ton of problems with Paint.NET crashing lately. Disabling the overlay has always fixed up Paint.NET. The overclocking programs tend to inject framerate counters into Direct3D games, intending to give gamers a nice way to view performance, but that also affects Direct2D apps like Paint.NET.

Thank you i fixed it the issue was that i had this software called Mactype font it makes all of your windows font mac style font and when i disabled it paint.net opens normally now! Thanks :)

5 minutes ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

Dumb question here - is it possible for a future release of PDN to block MacType from being loaded?

MacType hooks into the DirectWrite at a low level. Paint.net has no control over it.

If you use MacType, you can make an exception for paint.net:  https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/111702-started-crashing-at-startup-out-of-the-blue/?do=findComment&comment=534975

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab