How to do Text in perspective?

1. Select the layer with your text on it and click "Layers > Rotate/Zoom..." or press Ctrl+Shift+Z.

2. Play around with the "ball" and get a rotation you like.  Hit OK.

3. Duplicate your layer.   :DuplicateLayer:

4. Select the bottom layer and press Ctrl+A to select the whole layer.

5. Select the "Move Pixels" tool.  :MoveTool:

6. Press the arrow key on your keyboard to the right a few times, until you can see the shadow clearly.

7. Click "Adjustments > Hue/Saturation" and turn down Saturation and Brightness until you like the color of the shadow.

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to tweak the way it looks.

9. Make sure you save the file as a .PDN before exporting it as a .PNG or .JPG so that you can make edits to the original later if needed!

If you need help with any of those steps, feel free to ask!

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The easiest way to tilt the text is by using the Layers/Rotate & zoom tool. Explained here:

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/RotateZoom.html

For the depth (darker yellow areas), I would duplicate the layer, then on the lower layer, use Adjustments/Brightness and contrast to darken the text (briefly uncheck visibility in the top layer).

Then use the plugin 'Trail' to get the depth and recheck the top layer visibility.

You will need to install the 'Trail' plugin form here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=18653

I hope that explanation wasn't too garbled! ;)

EDIT: I'm too slow typing, David beat me! :D

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I suggest using pyrochild's Trail plugin to add the the shadowing. Disable Fade Out.

(The shadowing will be imperfect, since it will appear thicker at the far distance than the near distance. This same defect can be seen in the example in the original comment.)

PerspectiveText_zpszjrfzakk.png

EDIT: I see Red ochre beat me to it, but it might be helpful to see the image.

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 1

(The shadowing will be imperfect, since it will appear thicker at the far distance than the near distance. This same defect can be seen in the example in the original comment.)

I think it's actually the same, and an optical illusion that it appears bigger at the end.

Trail is a good suggestion, but I think the original specimen appears to be using the layer duplication method I detailed.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The appearance of the shading getting thinner is sort of an optical illusion. It looks that way because it's the same thickness at the far and the near distance, while in perspective it should get thinner as the distance increases. I couldn't think of an easy way to solve it with the Trails method.

Based on the shadowing on the bottom of the vertical strokes, I think the original example looks more like it uses the Trails method than the layer duplication method, though I could be wrong.

To get the thickness to look correct I think you would need 2 vanishing points, one for the text (done by rotate and zoom) and another for the 'trails', with the length of the trails proportionate to the distance from the first vanishing point.(Clear as mud? :D )

But MJW's example looks like the O.P's example. ;)

Thinking I was having de-ja-vu, I found this old thread (Add depth plugin) which should be of interest.http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/22457-add-depth-plug-in/

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Applying Trails before the perspective transformation is both better and worse. It's better because the shadow thickness decreases with distance; it's worse because the shadows widen as they go away from the letters, rather than narrowing as they should, or staying the same, as happens when Trails is done after the transformation. When the shadows aren't too thick, it does look better.