Installation Problems

Hi

I'm having problems installing the latest version 4.0.9

I'm using a new Acer laptop with Windows 10, 8gb ram (I don't know much more)

The installation seems to hang on the installation of .NET 4.6.1 - it stays there for hours with just a small part of the bar turned green, and it won't go any further

Registry Editor shows I have .NET 4.5.51641 installed

Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off shows:

.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)

.NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services

Installation of .NET 4.6.1 hangs from the Paint.net installer

I tried installing .NET 4.6.1 directly from the web - computer isn't having any of it.

I downloaded .NET 4.6.1 to install offline - computer still isn't having any of it.

I have disabled anti-virus software / firewalls etc (McAfee / Windows Defender) but sitll no luck

It seems if I can't install .NET 4.6.1 then I can't run Paint.net

Is there a trick to getting the installer to run?

Or an older version of Paint.net I can download and use?

Is it not possible to have Paint.net working independently of specific versions of .NET?

I fear that the day I get forced into having windows 10 will be my last day of paint.net but filehippo still has the older version here; edit by Rick: don't link to older versions. you should know this by now

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

What I find interesting, is I never needed to install DotNet v4.6.1 on my Win10 system for PDN v4.0.9. It's running the default DotNet v4.0.30319.42000. This goes for my Desktop as well as Laptop. I simply ran the installer without any issue or need for installation of DotNet v4.6.1. I wonder why that is?

Here is my system info according to PDN:

Hidden Content: specs
Application paint.net 4.0.9 (Final 4.9.5848.30436)
Build Date Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) True
Animations True
DPI 96.00 (1.00x scale)
Language en-US

OS Windows 10 (10.0.10240.0)
.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.42000
Physical Memory 12,097 MB

CPU Intel® Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Architecture x64 (64-bit)
Process Mode 64-bit
Speed ~3592 MHz
Cores / Threads 8
Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Dedicated Video RAM 112 MB
Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
Shared System RAM 6,048 MB
Vendor ID 0x8086
Device ID 0x0412
Subsystem ID 0x07501025
Revision 6
LUID 0x00004DC3
Flags None
Outputs 1

Video Card Microsoft Basic Render Driver
Dedicated Video RAM 0 MB
Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
Shared System RAM 6,048 MB
Vendor ID 0x1414
Device ID 0x008C
Subsystem ID 0x00000000
Revision 0
LUID 0x00005030
Flags Software

Outputs 0

69unju0.gif

4.6 is required, but Paint.NET includes the 4.6.1 installer. No need to bundle 4.6 and just have everyone also pull down 4.6.1 via automatic Windows Updates.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks for advice guys

.NET 4.6.1 would not install in safe mode - I've had a lot of problems with Windows 10 and this is a clean install of Windows 10, apart from a lot of rubbish installed as part of the Acer bundle

But skullbonz has saved the day with filehippo - a quick search and 10 minutes later, Paint.net 4.0.5 is running happily

I'm no expert with paint packages, but Paint.net is very easy to use. Since setting up 4.0.5 this morning, I've grabbed some clipart and have printed some clockfaces and pictures to help the kids learn to tell the time. Very quick, very easy, just what I need!

.NET 4.6.1 would not install in safe mode - I've had a lot of problems with Windows 10 ... Paint.net 4.0.5 is running happily

But this is only a temporary solution or you have to stay on 4.0.5 and cancelling all following updates. This is not a good idea in any case. You should fix your NET-problem - because maybe other applications will stop working properly in the future.

I have  solved a similar problem on Win 7 with NET-installation by editing the registry. If you interested, ask me, how.

You'd think that in 2016, companies could build computers with operating systems that don't need constant updates and that software would be effortless to install ..... Life is too short to constantly mess around trying to install things and learn the ins and outs of the Windows registry ..... when this laptop is a couple of years old and too slow, the kids will get it and I'll just get a new one and install software again .... I can live with 4.0.5 for a couple of years, it does everything I need ....

You'd think that in 2016, companies could build computers with operating systems that don't need constant updates and that software would be effortless to install

No. You have completely misunderstood me. That's why I said "This is not a good idea in any case". I'm " a little bit" familiar with such problems and solutions since I use computers for about 20 years or so and I am willing to "learn the ins and outs". Therefore I can help you but if you don't want - be happy.

Edited by IRON67