Fill tool problems

Recently I have downloaded Paint.net, and I have found it a better alternative to Microsoft Paint, if only for the addtion of layers which were my main incentive to download it. 

So, my problem is this. On my background layer, I copied an area, and pasted it onto a new layer. This done, I then set about making an area of white completely transparent, using the paint bucket tool. I was unable to do this as the fill tool refused to fill the white area.

Can anyone offer me assistance on the problem?

If you wish to make an area completely transparent, select it and press the Delete key.

The other thing that might have occurred: you made a copy of the region to a new layer. If you did make it transparent, the original layer information may have shown through.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem, but I am not trying to make the layer transparent, just to change the color of the whole layer to a very pale but visible one.

I've used paint.net for several years to draw (well, copy) maps and usually start with a layer that will blot out the original on completion of the whole image. I thought I had sorted out the steps to do this successfully. But recently, once I have picked my color background, used the select tool to outline the whole image, and clicked paint bucket or "F", all I get is a black dot and the tool that will move it. What have I done wrong? or is there a clash between the most recent paint.dot.net version and Windows 10?

Pat

There is no clash. It sounds like you're filling a layer which is occluded by another. Try this: Once you've made your selection press the backspace key to fill the selection with the Primary color. Shift + backspace keys fills with the secondary color.

The "black dot" isn't actually a "black dot". Notice it has a little compass gizmo next to it. You can drag it around to change the fill point.

See here for an example of what's going on: 

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg