Problem with cutting out images tutorial

I'm new to PDN but have been most impressed with what I have been able to do so far.   However, I can't get my head around Layers.   I've looked at the tutorials and even the most basic seems to assume that one has a fundamental knowledge of layers.

I want to crop two different images from two different photos and put them together on a different background.

As I understand it I will need possibly three layers for this ( at least two) and I understand the way it is to be done.  I have followed the instructions in the .pdf Paint.Net - "The unofficial users guide", the section "Cutting Out Images" but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I outline the first image from the photo, do the inversion (when the whole thing turns a sort of filmy bue) and select the background layer from the "Layers" panel and press delete.   This brings me back to where I was after I outlined the part to be cut out and saved.   I can' seem to get past this point.

I believe I've followed the instructions to the letter but no result.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Art

This tutorial? https://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/cutting-out-images/

Tips:

1. Make sure that you're on the correct layer. You need to select this layer in Step 4. The one you're doing the cutting out on should be highlighted blue in the Layers window before you hit delete.

2. The outline needs to be continuous (i.e. no gaps). If there are gaps, the selection will bleed out into the area outside the selection.

Yes you're going to need three layers: one for each of the cutouts and one for the background. Place the background layer lowest in the layers window.

This tutorial? https://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/cutting-out-images/

Tips:

1. Make sure that you're on the correct layer. You need to select this layer in Step 4. The one you're doing the cutting out on should be highlighted blue in the Layers window before you hit delete.

2. The outline needs to be continuous (i.e. no gaps). If there are gaps, the selection will bleed out into the area outside the selection.

Yes you're going to need three layers: one for each of the cutouts and one for the background. Place the background layer lowest in the layers window.

Thanks for your reply.

This is the tutorial I have been trying.   Unfortunately it still doesn't work.   I get to the point where I select "background" and "delete" and, as I said earlier, it returns me to the point after I'd outlined the part I wanted to cut and save.

Incidentally, I have noticed that the Magic Wand does not always fill in the outlined area.   If there are other outlines within the required area it highlights them also.   I think I saw it referred to somewhere as "crazy ants".

Is there another routine or sequence I can use?

Regareds

Art

• 2 months later...

When cropping a round object using the 'ellipse select' icon, after I finish cropping the image then saving, when I use it to post somewhere, I have the round image but I still have the square background.  How do I make that square invisible?

When cropping a round object using the 'ellipse select' icon, after I finish cropping the image then saving, when I use it to post somewhere, I have the round image but I still have the square background.  How do I make that square invisible?

Save the image as PNG instead of JPG.

When saving as PNG make sure the save screen has the bit depth "auto-detect" radio button selected.

• Like 1