Beta expiry

Why do beta versions of Paint.NET expire? I mean sure, it's good encouragement to upgrade, but there are much better ways than to not even let someone use Paint.NET unless they either upgrade or change the system clock. Paint.NET is a free program, and beta versions are not trial versions. A much better method of encouragement to upgrade would be after the date when it would expire, to put up a nag screen every time you load Paint.NET. But there could be a check box on that screen which you could check to stop it from appearing. I just don't get why it just prevents you from being able to use it. Any ideas why?

"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak." — GLaDOS

Well, why would you want to use a beta version of Paint.NET when there is an upgrade. I mean, beta versions are glitchy and such, and sometimes aren't compatible with some plug-ins. If you wouldn't want to upgrade, you probably don't even like/use Paint.NET, so it doesn't really matter. It's like saying, I'll use this glitchy prototype instead of this fully tested working product. It just doesn't make sense. Also, updates are most usually released well before the expiry date, so you have a little time.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

HAHAHA! This is so funny. I'm not laughing at either of you, but it's just ironic that -Expiration- answered this post. :D

EDIT: I just realized that I'm not helping anyone out here. I apologize for interrupting this grave conversation.

drew-10.png

Beta software is potentially volatile, in-development software. It is not a final version, and it is not intended to be a final version. There may be bugs in it that the final version won't have, and Rick doesn't want to get bug reports from users still running a Beta version about things that have been fixed for weeks in the final. This also falls under the "Use the latest version of Paint.NET" mantra.

As the Beta versions say when you start them up: it's a development version, intended for testing purposes only. If you're not going to be able to upgrade each month, then you should stick with the current stable version.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

This is in place because I used to have people holding on to beta versions for SIX MONTHS OR MORE. It was stupid. I had one person reporting a bug in v2.1 Alpha 2, which was years old. People get into the habit of clicking past nag boxes. They don't even read them after awhile.

This also discourages people from deploying or distributing alpha/beta versions to hundreds or thousands of users and further propogating the problem. There is absolutely no way I will be removing the expiration from non-final versions.

Paint.NET is a free program, and beta versions are not trial versions.

They aren't trial versions in the sense that you'll have to pay for it eventually. They are trial versions in the sense that you aren't allowed to use them after a period of time. And they have a watermark on them that says "Recommended for testing purposes only."

A much better method of encouragement to upgrade would be after the date when it would expire, to put up a nag screen every time you load Paint.NET. But there could be a check box on that screen which you could check to stop it from appearing.

That's the worst idea ever. It would completely defeat the expiration system.

If you don't want the expiration, then don't ever install a non-final build. End of story.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

That's the worst idea ever. It would completely defeat the expiration system.

That's the point. But maybe you should provide something in the options, or even something where you type something like "I understand I am using an obsolete version of Paint.NET but just don't want to upgrade yet." Then the expiration would be turned off. Or maybe provide instructions on your website for a registry change. What if the new version won't install and you can't uninstall the old one either? I have that problem on my other machine...thank goodness it's not a beta version! :D

"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak." — GLaDOS

"I understand I am using an obsolete version of Paint.NET but just don't want to upgrade yet."

Then don't download a beta!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

That's the point.
I have a better solution. To defeat the expiration system, don't install a build that expires.
But maybe you should provide something in the options...
What options?
... or even something where you type something like "I understand I am using an obsolete version of Paint.NET but just don't want to upgrade yet."
No.
Then the expiration would be turned off.
No.
Or maybe provide instructions on your website for a registry change.
No. (You think people actually search before asking?)
What if the new version won't install and you can't uninstall the old one either? I have that problem on my other machine...thank goodness it's not a beta version! :D
Then you learned your lesson: Beta versions are volatile.

Beta versions expire. If you don't want the expiration, then don't install a beta version. I fail to see how you are failing to see the logic here. You're asking me to write a ton of code and instructions for the 2 people in the entire world who have the stupid idea of wanting to perpetually run a beta version of Paint.NET. The whole point of the expiration system is to make the build expire.

I'm going to have a contest to see how many rolling eyeball smileys I can put in this post: :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: Sweet. It looks like I won.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Right, well, this is pointless now. Rick can unlock if he has anything else to add, but I think this issue is pretty much settled.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.