How to Install Plugins ×

Custom Brushes Plugin 5.1.5

Simon Brown

That is what happened to me, I deleted the custom brushes folder, redownloaded... it worked..

EDIT: Is there a way to incorperate the color changer from pyro's "splatter" into your plugin, and to add a secondary color?

:cry: Please help, I downloaded it, I select the size and type of brush then it only applies the effect on the current pdn image and I cannot use the brush type and size I've chosen anymore, I tried to save as png in the brush folder under pdn user files but when I open that it only gives me a thumbnail image , I do not know how to select colors (it is only black and white) I've already deleted the custom brush folder from the pdn users file and redownloaded again and the folder is there again , please could you explain me how to do this in the correct way in simple words for computer dummies?

Thanks

:cry: I want that effect!

:cry: Please help, I downloaded it, I select the size and type of brush then it only applies the effect on the current pdn image and I cannot use the brush type and size I've chosen anymore, I tried to save as png in the brush folder under pdn user files but when I open that it only gives me a thumbnail image , I do not know how to select colors (it is only black and white) I've already deleted the custom brush folder from the pdn users file and redownloaded again and the folder is there again , please could you explain me how to do this in the correct way in simple words for computer dummies?

Thanks

No colors availible yet... you must make the brush color manually... As for your other problems, to test it... draw a circle... save under user files/brushes... then open a new image big enough for messing around, and go to Effects>Artistic>Custom Brushes... do you see the circle on the left hand side? Post again if it doesn't work.

This plugin is not localizeable.

English:

notlocal0nc4.png

Japanese:

notlocal2ld9.png

German: ("Künstlerisch" would be the appropriate place)

notlocal1wf1.png

In general, I think as this plugin and Splatter are "fake effects" - what is not meant in a degrading way - they belong directly in "Effects" and not in a submenu.

PS: Paint.NET, which is a piece of high-developed, fine software should get the ability to sort at least the English plugins to their respective localized place automatically. The current way creates rather nasty results.

sabrown: Use SubmenuNames.Artistic, not a string literal "Artistic" to ensure proper localization.

In general, I think as this plugin and Splatter are "fake effects" - what is not meant in a degrading way - they belong directly in "Effects" and not in a submenu.

Custom brushes doesn't belong in Artistic, but Splatter, if you think about it, can be considered Artistic. Splatter could also go in the Effects root, or Render, but both of those are overcrowded.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

so Sawbrown100 at this point are you shaking your head and wondering why you ever got involved in this plugin writing?

just stay calm work at asteady pace .... everyone back off a bit give the guy some breathing room.

just do the issues that need to be done in order that they need to be done. don't rush... just hurry...no just kidding.

fix the issues pyro has brought to your attention first, work on a reset or cancel button. we can all manage to change to colors some other method for now.

you'll get thru this one and be a better plugin writer for it.

funny isn't it. how your perception of just how important being able to draw and work a program becomes when you start to write plugins. its now not only about understanding the principals code wise but its about learning the important things to the end users. remember we all work together here, program writers, plugin writers, and the ones who draw the pictures.

we expect quality plug ins but we also know it takes time to iron out the kinks.

breath in slowly, exhale. remain calm.

Oma

sabrown: the secret to not being overwhelmed by suggestions and whatnot is to know what people are going to ask for before you even release the plugin. Then, you can work in everything at your own pace and not feel pressured by the users.

xZYt6wl.png

sabrown: Use SubmenuNames.Artistic, not a string literal "Artistic" to ensure proper localization.(...) Custom brushes doesn't belong in Artistic, but Splatter, if you think about it, can be considered Artistic. Splatter could also go in the Effects root, or Render, but both of those are overcrowded.

Actually my effects root isn't overcrowded since the built-in effects were moved to submenus.

BTW, I know it's impossible but this plugin should rather use SVGs as brushes. The PNGs become unsharp when you increase the size.

BTW, I know it's impossible but this plugin should rather use SVGs as brushes. The PNGs become unsharp when you increase the size.

SVG?! What are you trying to do, give sabrown carpal tunnel and/or a cerebral aneurysm?!?

Jeez.... haha.

If you need your brushes to be sharp, you need to make them at a large enough size. Since the max size in this plugin is 250, the ideal size of a brush would be 250x250. Or 256x256, if you want to go with the standard icon size in Vista.

xZYt6wl.png

SVG?! What are you trying to do, give sabrown carpal tunnel and/or a cerebral aneurysm?!?

Jeez.... haha.

If you need your brushes to be sharp, you need to make them at a large enough size. Since the max size in this plugin is 250, the ideal size of a brush would be 250x250. Or 256x256, if you want to go with the standard icon size in Vista.

I know about the size. The problem occured when I used the brushes shared on the board.

And it has not to be SVG.

There are other vector file formats.

GNA-HA-HA-HAR-HAR!!! :twisted:

And it has not to be SVG.

There are other vector file formats.

And any one of them would give him carpal tunnel.

xZYt6wl.png

After 5+ pages of discussion, I don't see a singe request for an undo button. Heh.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

After 5+ pages of discussion, I don't see a singe request for an undo button. Heh.

'Cause Cancel is much simpler to implement, and he ain't even added that yet :P

xZYt6wl.png

I guess...

By the way, hitting the close button doesn't cancel the brushes...

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I guess...

By the way, hitting the close button doesn't cancel the brushes...

Page 1 called. It wants its bug report back.

xZYt6wl.png

chill guys.

just don't hit the close out at the top just use the ok and then the undo arrow.

but

you know you are forgetting one real important issue. Most pictures are more than one layer, meaning you need some more precision built in. I still can't see worth a bean where I'm painting on the screen if I'm adding on a new transparent layer. I'm sure seeing the layers underneath isn't possible yet. but what about a little grid line or something on that big blank canvas. Heads up that also goes for your plugin Pyro. until the marching ants are active on both plugins or some sort of guide is there for drawing aids this is just a long string of the same picture run across randomly placed by guess and by golly. Its a great start on a very inovative plug in but will be very hard to use effectively without giving us an idea of placement.

What this plugin really needs urgently is vertical and horizontal scroll bars because when using larger images, you cannot navigate around the image whatsoever. I only get the top corner of the image with no ability to move around.

I just looked at pyro's Splatter plugin and it does have the scroll bars, so I would imagine you can look at the source code as a reference.

Keep up the great work, this is definitely getting interesting... 7 pages in one day.

Looks good...is there any chance there could be some option to randomly rotate the brush image whenever it is rendered onto the canvas? Something like leaves falling at different angles.

But overall this looks good...potential here...just needs some spit and polish. :D

There needs to be:

1) An undo button.

2) An erase tool.

3) A color option.

4) A twirling tool (AKA rotating brush).

Thanks

No colors availible yet... you must make the brush color manually... As for your other problems, to test it... draw a circle... save under user files/brushes... then open a new image big enough for messing around, and go to Effects>Artistic>Custom Brushes... do you see the circle on the left hand side? Post again if it doesn't work.

Thanks a lot for your help , it is working! I think it was me that completely misanderstood how this plug-in works :D

@Sabrown: thanks a lot for this! Up till now we did not have anything like that and now everybody is asking for more!

Just enjoy what you have for now allowing him time to improve it ..

Ciao ciao