SHIFT+CRTL+S Problem With Key Listeners

iyeru42

After pressing CRTL+SHIFT+S, Paint.NET Waits for the keys to be released, and doesn't show the save as... dialog UNTIL these keys are released. It should show the dialog when they're pressed, rather than after they release.

This is with v3.20 on Windows XP SP2 With all three .NET Frameworks (I have a variety of programs, one will need one or the other. I still have a program that requires .NET 1.1 -_-) with .NET 2 and 3 having their Service Packs.

Old Remix | My Website | Sheezy

"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."

"If the body does not die, the world would be an eternal prison."

This is done intentionally. If Paint.NET doesn't wait for the Shift key to be released, then things are worse: Windows shows the dialog without any of the file names. That's right, they just aren't drawn at all. Don't ask me why.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Then why does it draw correctly in Photoshop 7? Because it shows the dialog when you press them, not after you release. GIMP Is the same.

Can I ask (well, I'm going to anyway), why does it matter so much? You're going to have to let go of those keys to start typing a file name, so having the dialog open when you do release is merely logical. And it can't be that much of a culture shock if one is used to the Photoshop way, can it?

Myrddin, I'm thinking that iyeru42 is systematically going through every screen of Paint.NET and comparing it with Photoshop. Then, when differences are noticed he/she is posting a request on the forum to change Paint.NET to match. :roll:

@iyeru42, if these differences bother you that much, why don't you just download the source code to Paint.NET and change it yourself? Should be simple, right?

It's coded all in .NET, right? If I had a Visual Basic Editor, I'd be glad to do it. But I've forgotten my .NET Class information, so I can't change it, sorry. Plus, I can't afford 500+ USD for Visual Studio 2008. I no longer plan to take coding classes, so I can't get a free copy from my teachers.

Like I said, I don't really know how to code, so I'm SOL.

I know.

The point I was trying to make is this: try to put a little thought into your requests. It appears that you are asking for changes simply because there are differences between Paint.NET and Photoshop. I can tell you that Rick has said that he has no plans to morph Paint.NET into Photoshop.

Every enhancement that he makes to Paint.NET is because of thorough planning. He is most interested in keeping the features of Paint.NET easily discoverable and easy to use. The request you make in this post makes absolutely no sense. You gave no justification for your request other than that's not the way Photoshop works. You need to get over the fact that these are different programs written by different people.

Remember this, Photoshop has an entire company working on it where Paint.NET has only Rick. And, he has a regular job that has nothing to do with Paint.NET. He works on the program in his spare time. So, he has to be very careful what he spends his time doing. Requests like this simply waste his time. And, really, wouldn't you rather him work on Paint.NET 4.0 than have to read threads like this?

And I've already suggested more mainstream developers, or even try to implement plugins/addons into main releases.

What's so wrong with Paint.NET as it's being developed now? You've brought up a whole bunch of things that really don't make much difference one way or another. Making it more complicated would fundamentally change what Paint.NET is - if you want something that's trying to be a Photoshop clone, go to the GIMP.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

After reading this topic I belive the problem has been answered. I also belive there no point in trying to explain the common scents of why Paint.NET will not be Photoshop to iyeru42 as his actions so far are thoughs of a child trying to continue a argument to get there own way.

There no point in this topic any more and if Paint.NET is not to your liking then just don't use it, simple as that.

Other then that, Rick keep up the good work as I support and thank you for your fine program.

And I've already suggested more mainstream developers, or even try to implement plugins/addons into main releases.

Read the topic in General Coding/Programming asking Rick to move his project to CodePlex. That will tell you why.

The only way you'll ever get a free Photoshop is by getting it non-legally. Live with it.