Can this be re-created on Paint.net?

You would think it's complicated, but it is actually quite simple if you break it down. Now, I'm a believer that you should at least try it out for yourself first, others are not so you may get a quick tutorial after this, but until then these are the tools that would be necessary to create a close facsimile of that userbar:

• Gradient Tool ( :GradientTool: ) - Linear Gradient ( :LinearGradient: or :LinearReflectedGradient: )
    Line / Curve Tool ( :LineCurveTool: )
    Text Tool ( :TextTool: )

In fact, you may not even need to utilise any additional effects at all, built-in or downloaded. This is the great thing about userbars, they are the most simple form of signature available bar that of plain text.

Give it a go first, see how it progresses, and maybe during so you'll learn some valuable skills which can applied here in Paint.NET or any other photo editing / paint package.

I'm a believer that you should at least try it out for yourself first.

Agreed. I love this guy! Give it a shot; if you have any questions, just ask. Though you should probably ask in the tut itself; that way, you get responses from people who know what they're doing, not idiots like me. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

If you're amazed by that, you should check out Ash's work.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.