edge blur?

wixdfast

Hi, i'm new to paint.net, so far i think its the best program out there. my only thing I don't know how to do an edge blur. basically I have a smokey cloud in the backround and a picture in front of it. i want the edges of the picture in front to be blurred so it appears to be all one picture. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks html>

Hit up http://searchpaint.net for Feather Plugin. It's by BoltBait, and it's stickied in the Plugins forum. Best plugin out there! :-)

One of 'em, at least...

Does this help?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I don't think the Feather Effect will achieve what you want. Feather was designed to smooth curved edges, not as much for perfectly straight edges as these.

There are a few things you may want to try. Opague-to-transparent gradients along the edges would achieve an effect that simply blends the edges into the clouds. This is the same concept of feathering, though on a much larger - and noticable - scale. Also, gaussian blurring a copy of the image behind itself (in front of the clouds) may provide a similar, though less effective, outcome. See this post to learn more about these types of gradients.

Also, the way you worded your request brought blending modes to my mind. It doesn't seem like the effect you described, but may be better than that. Worth a shot. See this page for more details on blending modes. This page may help you understand layers, if you do not already.

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

Apologies! I didn't even notice that it was on a single layer. Sorry!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 4 years later...

I was curious about the same thing, having to put a glossy object atop another glossy object.

I found that Zoom Blur worked extremely well for me, melding the two images perfectly.

I simply Zoom Blurred the top layer.

You'll have to fiddle with it of course, depending on how much edge (->| |<- or ->| |<-) you want to blur and you can adjust the zoom level as to not bring the center of the top layer object too far out from the surface visually.

Mark

Thread is four and a half years old. If you wish to restart this discussion, please start a new topic.

<closed>