Tutorial request- if this can be done

That's certainly possible, but not simple, and it would take a while to create a generic tutorial for that effect.

In the example image, there's curvature on the top face of the object that affects what it looks like, and a flat image would look different. My guess is that the image was done in blender, which makes it a serious challenge...

How about this: what if we talk about recreating the image itself, first?

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

:shock: Wow, that's insanely awesome.

Yeah...I'm thinking hundreds of layers...internal refractions, specular highlights, external reflections...the overall shininess is tough enough. The only person I can think of on the forums that has a chance of doing this in any reasonable amount of time would be Ash. I might be able to do it, but we're talking years...

Just... :shock:

*looks at image again*

*drools*

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

But This is not gonna be easy with PDN... :? :!:

I have a few ideas, I will think about it on my flight to Asia today.

I bet you could do it with Photoshop...

Have fun in Asia!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Hmmm..it wouldn't be exacty simple with Paint.NET, or even Paintshop Pro. If you want it as a 2D image, then it might take a while...I suggest going with Frojo's idea.

I saw a tutorial on Youtube a couple years back on how to make such a thing with Photoshop, Cinema 4D, and some other program..but I can't seem to find it now.. But I guess it doesn't really matter, because that stuff isn't freeware, and it would take a big bite out of your wallet :shock:

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Ash...you're a steely-eyed raster man (paraphrasing from a NASA manager's quote in the Apollo 13 days).

I wish I could make my brain work that fast.

I didn't know that slang :oops: Wikipedia is my friend :P

Thank you :D

@LilRedneck: Thanks :)

Ash, wow. That is amazing. How many layers is that thing?

I don't even wanna count :P

I was trying to take a screen shot of the history but when I clicked "paste in new image" my saved image closed :?

This was the only part I got... :(

a1e46956.jpg

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]