Resizing pictures!

Hi new member here, did a searxch here on resizing pictures and couldn't find an answer. I want to ask why the picture size in the resize window, for example, 330.4 kb does not match the kb size in the save window when I go to save it.

In other words, I want to reduce the size of a 56 kb picture to less than 50 kb but the resize window shows the picture "new size" as 330.8 where it's printed in text in the upper left of the resize window as the "new size 330.8".

The way I have been resizing my pictures, I need to keep rechecking the save window to see what the size is before saving pic. If it's not what I want, I have to start over and go through the process all over again until it's what I want.

I wish I could have explained this better.

Thanks, Leo

The Resize window shows you how much memory the image will consume. It does not tell you what the file size will be if you save. To determine that you will need to go to File->Save As and choose the appropriate codec (JPEG probably), where you can adjust the quality which will have a direct correlation to the file size.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You choose the quality as you save it. That's what decides the file size. But you don't have to save it completely, just open the dialog box.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Fast reply! Thank you.

Yes, the pic is JPEG, so there's no way to know the file size until I go to save it?

Leo

To check the file size before saving select the image pull-down bar at the top of the paint.net window. Then select Resize then you'll see a width/height section go up a little bit until you See a small text that says Current file size: (example= 34.6KB)

Get it?

...but the resize window shows the picture "new size" as 330.8 where it's printed in text in the upper left of the resize window...

That's the one they're talking about, Karma Blue. That's not showing you the size the file will be once it's saved, it's showing the size the resultant image will take up in memory (RAM).

To see the size the file will be after it is saved, you need to look in the save configuration window of the file type you're using. Unless you're using PNG - then you have to save it, right click the icon for that image and select Properties to see its size. No config dialog for PNG. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

After I click, save as, the "save as" window pops up asking me to save. I click save which opens the "save configuration" window. The file size appears in this window. The "save configuration" window pops up only when I change the file name. I do this to keep the original file.

When the file size is not the size I'm after, I'll click cancel and will need to start over by having to resize a second or 3rd time until the "save configuration" window shows the right file size I'm after.

I couldn't find a Dialog window.

I apologize if I'm missing something. I'm not too computer smart.

Leo

I don't want to seem out of place, but wouldn't this be useful if both the RAM consumption information and the post-resize information was on the Resize dialog? Something along the lines of the attachment.

It may cut out any confusion and also cater for both types of people who would benefit from either one or both pieces of information.

Just a thought. Apologies for the not-so-true font/font size, it was only a quick moc-up and it doesn't help that I have ClearType active which makes recreating existing text slightly harder.

4114_16ba0a7b3c36c947df82ef63b254dca8

I've always said "no" to this but the more I think about it, the more I think this would be a really cool feature that no other program has. I've filed a bug to track this feature. As usual though: no promises, no schedule.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

a really cool feature that no other program has. I've filed a bug to track this feature.

You mean, the RAM consumption thing, right?

How would you compute the actual file size? In which format?

Grand Pa will not be happy to see that the photo he's touching-up would take half his laptop's disk space...

Anyway, I find the RAM consumption thing totally über-geek.

A "Do you really want to create a x*y pixels image? Due to the size you typed on, you computer may become slow when creating this image, the process would take a while, or the application may even crash. Do you want to crash your computer anyway? [Yes] [No]" dialog, like Windows provide when you open, say 30 files, will be more useful.

As usual, my 2 cents.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio