32-Bit BMP with Alpha Channel Support Request...

I was curious if their was any plan for 32-Bit BMP with Alpha Channel support anytime soon? I use a program that insists I use this file format and no other for some image files. I can't find any non-commercial software that supports this format and I can't code my own plug-in to do what I want as well. Any help?

I didnt know BMP had Alpha support... maybe your programs just crazy?

There are ways to get transparent BMPs, if you have Win XP/Server 03, e.g. your interface includes them. I would like to see 32 bit BMPs in PDN (for example like the 24/32 bit selector of the HDP plugin), but I don't know if Rick would add it.

Edit: Not to be forgotten: We hadn't new file type plugins for a while... I think it would be useful, for example for OS theming.

I didnt know BMP had Alpha support... maybe your programs just crazy?

There are ways to get transparent BMPs, if you have Win XP/Server 03, e.g. your interface includes them. I would like to see 32 bit BMPs in PDN (for example like the 24/32 bit selector of the HDP plugin), but I don't know if Rick would add it.

in all of the images I have seen, I have never seen a 32 bit BMP with transparency used, although Wikipedia says they exist and they're in my login-screen. *shrugs*. personally, I only use PNG or high quality JPG for images. if a program doesn't support either of those, I don't use it.

You know the place.

[in all of the images I have seen, I have never seen a 32 bit BMP with transparency used, although Wikipedia says they exist and they're in my login-screen. *shrugs*. personally, I only use PNG or high quality JPG for images. if a program doesn't support either of those, I don't use it.

I know what you mean. Resource editors and so on display the transparent parts with a colour (usually an ugly one :) ). So you may not see it. I saw them when I looked inside a modified msstyle-file from deviant.art long time ago. And Wikipedia is right.

Edit: PS: As we have VTF support which I believe to be seldom used there would be no reason not to do this little upgrade. Last but not least I never saved a TGA via the build-in feature.

Arf, searchpaint.net is currently unusable.

It was answered 2 weeks ago, and I remember that the answer was no, put short.

I had remebered this thing, did search (at the time it seemed to work and I really searched) and found nothing. So I hope it would be made clear for all time here. But even if Rick doesn't want to inculde it (although a good chance to enhance PDN by a tiny step by providing an option other programs doesn't have) maybe someone would be interested in making a plugin.

So the short answer is this feature will never be included? Well that's just freaking great. I wouldn't think something this small would result in being such a big problem. How bad is it to include alpha channel support for BMP's into the application? *Sigh* I can't find anything that supports this format, sadly.

So the short answer is this feature will never be included?

Where'd you get that?

It is possible to write file type plugins to extend the types of files Paint.NET supports. So, it is not necessary to wait for Rick to include support... you just need to find someone that knows how to write file type plugins (Dean Ashton?) and convince them to write it for you.

So the short answer is this feature will never be included?

Well, never say never.

You'd understand that BMP is a totally proprietary format, there is no standard, or official MSFT paper saying "If you follow these rules you have a correct BMP implementation in your app!".

Furthermore, transparent/32-bit BMP aren't something the Average Joe will use, but if you find it useful, why not write a plugin?

Though, it has been asked many times, so it may be included someday.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

In fact, this is something that's been in the queue for awhile. Or rather, extending the BMP and PNG featureset have been. I'll probably up the features for BMP and PNG at the same time I integrate HD Photo support. (oh yeah I need to go put up a new HD Photo dll, it's set to expire tomorrow!)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...