How to tell if someone altered their image?

To make sure it was edited and not just pasted into PSE5, check when the image was created and then when it was last modified. If the dates are different, then you got yourself a rule breaker. If the dates are the same, you still may have a rule breaker, but you don't have as much evidence to support the case.

But either way, I do think it was Photoshoped.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

@jsonchiu: I think you may be exaggerating how much the guy cheated. Those things are probably caused by the 3D car model, lack of Antialiasing, and the fact that it was saved as a mid-quality JPEG. Though you may have something with the white border.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

I think you should ask the creator [of the screenshot] if he, by any chance, edited the image in Photoshop because it "look like it was sharpened a bit". If he says "yeah, but only to resize the image", then he's more likely innocent then not. If he denies, then show him the proof.