How do I make straight, diagonal lines?

This is my first attempt at using Paint.NET so it may seem rather amateurish to some. I took a picture of me and a friend, layered the "Friends" logo onto it, then removed the runner on the left side of the picture and used the clone stamp to fill that area back in. What gave me the most problems was trying to get the curb on the left side of the picture looking straight and running diagonally into the distance. Notice the curb seems rather bumpy where I removed the one runner. Is it just a matter of having a steady hand? Any tips on how I could do that as well as any other tips on what I could do to improve the final result would be most welcomed. I'm also unsure what to do about how unbalanced the final result looks. Seems all the action is in the middle and the right with too much dead space or concrete on the left side.

Here's the before:

friendsrunqk9.jpg

And the after:

friendsrunfinalin3.jpg[/img]

Why don't you just crop the original picture so that the runner on the left is got rid of after the crop? Leave the 'Friends' logo where it is as it will be then in the middle of your roughly square final picture. That's just my first thought. It seems a lot easier than using the clone stamp tool.

Sig1500x145-PDN.png

You know what David_L, the second of the pictures is just fine, I think you've done a cracking job of it and the curb isn't that noticeable.

May I ask are you using the Line/curve tool to do the curb? This will give a much straighter line and if you use the colour picker you can have it match in with the rest of the curb. Just a suggestion if you haven't done so already.

At first I did simply crop the picture so that the runner in black was out of view, but then I had issues with sizing the remainder of the photo so it would fit the standard 4x6 inch photgraph format. I took the cropped image and copied onto a blank 4x6 canvas but it left me with big borders do deal with if I had then entire cropped photo on the canvas. I hope that makes sense. All of this is new to me.

The reason the guy's legs are on backwards is because they belong to the runner in the black tights over her right shoulder :lol: Thanks for pointing it out. That's an easy fix.

For the curb I just used the rectangle selection tool and then as carefully as I could I used the clone stamp to fill that area in. I hadn't thought of using the line tool, but it's a great idea and I'll give it a try. Not sure what the color picker is, but I'll search the forum and try it as well.

Thanks everyone!!!

At first I did simply crop the picture so that the runner in black was out of view, but then I had issues with sizing the remainder of the photo so it would fit the standard 4x6 inch photgraph format. I took the cropped image and copied onto a blank 4x6 canvas but it left me with big borders do deal with if I had then entire cropped photo on the canvas. I hope that makes sense. All of this is new to me.

For simple croping like this, Use picasa from google.

They have a preset 4:6 to pick from and crop you go.

Give it a try, hope this helps.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I'll leave it up to you to move the shadow ;)

I didn't have your source graphic without the Friends logo which would have made moving the shadow much easier.

Also, I was waaaayyyy to quick with the clone stamp tool on the right side. It looks pretty bad. It seems to me that you're way better with it than I am. Perhaps I've given you an idea...

If you crop it this way, it could still be 4x6, only tall instead of wide.