Can Paint.NET be moved?

(new to the forum; hope this is the right place)

Can Paint.NET be moved to another folder on C drive besides Program Files and then, in the future, be updated/uninstalled from that location?

The reason I ask is I just jumped from 2.72 to 3.07 with 2.72 in my alternative location. Tried updating and then uninstalling from there. Had a heck of a time (won't go into details) but finally ended up with 3.07 installed in the default location.

So, again, can it be moved and what about update/unistall?

EDIT: Yata, you beat me to it.

Re-install and change the location during the installation. Now it's been a while since I did it this way, but as with all installations there will be a location query where you can enter your preferred location.

Obviously change it to where you want it.

Hope this helps.

It can be moved, but I wouldn't recommend moving it after Paint.NET is already in Program Files. Then updates and even loading images from explorer won't work right. I would suggest you reinstall the program in the location you wanted it in.

EDIT: Myrddin and Yata beat me! Gah!

@Yata: He/she won't need to go to bugs and troubleshooting. Just reinstallation. The only thing that causes any errors when you move pdn is that the registry keys don't match (provides the location of pdn without having to ask you).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Only got Myrddin by about 1 second. Got you about a min :P

Well d4l3d has 3 opinions at least :P

EDIT:

Make sure to have your plugins in a safe place before you uninstall, so you can put them back in after the install.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Paint.NET will only update to the location it was installed to -- this is the way MSI's work.

If you want to keep two versions installed, then you need to follow a simple process:

1) Install the older version

2) Copy it to another directory (say, from C:/Program Files/Paint.NET to your desktop and then maybe rename it to "Paint.NET 2.72")

3) Upgrade to the newer version

You will need to launch the older version manually, and remember to tell it to NOT update when it detects a newer version.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

First, thanks to all for the quick replies.

What your describing is the kind of behavior I expect with most installs. The thing that threw me was that I was never prompted to choose the location when I installed 3.07. I didn't think I left anything to influence the install. If it has any bearing, I HAD deleted the Paint.Net folder from the previous uninstall.

Should I just start over again or are there other files etc. that might be infuencing this?

You gotta go through the Custom install path to choose a directory.

If you are doing an upgrade (from within Paint.NET) it will just pick up all the old settings and go from there.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

What an idiot I am. I got so caught up in everything else going wrong I forgot about the simple stuff. I'll do that.

Though you could have, none of you gave me grief through any of this. You're a classy group.

Thanks to all