"Save as copy" feature request

archip

Hello,

When I work on my games, I often want to see how a picture render in game (which means save it as a PNG) but I want to keep the layered information because it makes future modifications easier.

Currently, what I do is :

(1) File->Save.
// This preserves the layered format to .pdn.

(2) File->Save As...->Save as type->Save->Confirm Save As->Save Configuration->Flatten Prompt.
// The flattened format is now saved. At this point the workspace is now using the flat file version (e.g., .png).

(3) Edit->Undo
// The workspace is now back to using the layered file version.

What I want to do :

(1) File->Save as copy->Save->Confirm Save As->Save Configuration->Flatten Prompt.
// The flattened format is now saved and it doesn't modify the workspace !

My dream would be that there is a shortcut to save directly as a copy and that you can parameter it to apply some post-processing (like scaling because I prefer working with big images).

link to an older topic with the same request : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/24725-request-and-recommended-approach-to-implement-a-save-as-copy-feature/

Thanks,

archip

Try this keyboard workaround on the master image:

Ctrl + A (Selects all)

Ctrl + Shift + C (Copy merged - i.e. everything visible composited into a single layer)

Ctrl + Alt + V (Paste in to new image)

Your current image remains open for editing while you get a brand new image to view & apply further processing. No saving is required using this technique ;)

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...

I strongly second this! Many times I need to save a .png or .jpg from a .pdn file without losing quality/layers/whatever. Many image editing programs already have this since ages and it's really useful.

My turnaround is to "Save As.." > Filetype: PNG "file.png" > Select "Merge all layers" > "Ok"

After saving, just Undo with 'Ctrl-Z' and you will get back your original layers for saving as a PDN file or continue editing.

• Rick Brewster locked this topic