Hiding Selection Indication

Selected areas are tinted blue and surrounded by a crawling line. That's usually useful, but not when attempting to, for instance, adjust the selection's brightness to match the surrounding area. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see a way to disable the selection indication. That would be a desirable feature.

I think you turn off the animations in the little gear symbol top right. Not too sure on where it is but it is somewhere on there,lol. Still figuring out the new version myself and teach this old dog the new tricks.   ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

The blue tint in a selection is an indicator that aids identification of the selection.  It is removed when another tool is selected (so it does not interfere with color perception).  What you can do is simply switch to another tool without changing the selection, e.g. activate the Move Tool then go ahead and modify the Brightness.  The outline will persist.