Missing fonts in Paint.NET 4.0?

Hi all,

I recently updated to Paint.NET 4.0 and I love it.  However, I found that a number of fonts are missing and I'm not sure why - they are still installed on my computer.  Any solutions out there?  The fonts worked fine on 3.5, but they just seem to be missing from the font list in 4.0.

Thanks.

Some font types don't work in Paint.NET 4.0, like bitmap. Maybe that is your issue.

With respect to Courier: bitmap fonts are simply no longer supported. This is because DirectWrite doesn't support them. In fact, bitmap fonts are pretty much completely deprecated in Windows programming now :( It is not a configuration problem with your system, nor is it a bug in paint.net.

Try using Courier New and disabling antialiasing.

Original post : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28898-brush-width-3-draws-as-width-2-when-antialiasing-is-off-and-two-other-bugs/?p=412227

Yeah unfortunately bitmap fonts are currently at the "see no evil, speak no evil" stage of support in Windows. It was pretty clear that Microsoft (and maybe others) are working very hard at passively aggressively sweeping them under the rug. Better to rip that band-aid off sooner rather than later. I had support in 3.5 for rendering them using GDI but that code was monstrously painful to write and support and I decided to choose my sanity versus never releasing another paint.net ever again ... (I'm only slightly exaggerating!)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Does anyone have a list of the common Bitmap fonts?

Yeah unfortunately bitmap fonts are currently at the "see no evil, speak no evil" stage of support in Windows. It was pretty clear that Microsoft (and maybe others) are working very hard at passively aggressively sweeping them under the rug. Better to rip that band-aid off sooner rather than later. I had support in 3.5 for rendering them using GDI but that code was monstrously painful to write and support and I decided to choose my sanity versus never releasing another paint.net ever again ... (I'm only slightly exaggerating!)

Some font types don't work in Paint.NET 4.0, like bitmap. Maybe that is your issue.

Original post : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28898-brush-width-3-draws-as-width-2-when-antialiasing-is-off-and-two-other-bugs/?p=412227

Thanks for the responses, guys.  This is something I wasn't familiar with before - I'm only slightly disappointed...it just so happens that a couple of the fonts I use are apparently in this category which is no longer supported.  The reason I thought it was a bug is because for some reason, Paint.NET has no fonts which begin with the letter "D".  This is just a coincidence I'm sure, but it completely confused me because Word 2013 lists many fonts beginning with D, so I thought it might be some sort of weird settings thing.

Update: I actually found a solution - I did think it was kind of odd that so many fonts would be incompatible.  Paint.NET 3.5 apparently just showed all installed fonts - 4.0 hides the ones hidden by the system.  MIcrosoft Word shows all of these, so I didn't know.  I enabled the font I was looking for from the Fonts manager and now it shows up.

• Upvote 1