Layers

I need step-by-step instructions on layering. It should be easy, but Paint.net is different than the others. The tutorial in the help section just tells us about the capabilities, not the how-to. Can someone direct me to a true tutorial on layering two pictures?

Hi Dennis.  Welcome :D

First of all - have you seen this page in the documentation?  http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

You haven't explained what you're trying to achieve - so I've had to take a punt.  Try these topics for starters....

Beginner Image Merging

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12184-fading-blending-gradient-tool-on-a-camaro-picture/

Tip:  As this is not a tutorial it doesn't belong in the tutorial thread.... 

<Moved to Paint.NET Discussion & Questions>

• Upvote 1

Layers in Paint.NET work a lot like a stack of paper, as you'd expect.

As you've said though, you want to know how to. So to begin with, make sure your layer window is open. You'll see a little square with a + on the bottom bar of that window. Click it and hooray, you've got a new layer. Now you can click between them using the window, and whatever changes you make on that layer will only affect that layer. Suppose you want to overlay a picture of a plate onto a table. Create a new canvas, make a new layer. Go to your first layer (the bottom one) and then paste in your image of the tabletop. Go to the top layer and paste in your plate image. You can move this plate around however much you want and it won't affect the table. If it has a background on it, you could use the magic wand tool to remove it. Note that in the layers window there is an image of a nametag and pencil where you can change the opacity and blend mode of the layer to the layer/s below.

Hope this crash course helped! :P

• Upvote 1

signature.png

:cookie-chocolate: I baked another one...

Nice answers Mike and Scott.getsmileyCA01OWOH.gif

"It is some times hard to understand the simple, when perusing the seeming complex "   ancient Pseudo FilosophirIgnoramiess  meditate_zps3895312e.gif

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️