Merging layers down with different blending modes?

I am trying to create something for myself using paint.net and I used different modes for different layers, however whenever I merge the layer down the picture shows up. Same for when I am trying to add a different back ground. Here are some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

Here is the pdn, without having the layers merged:

http://prntscr.com/3dp20l

Here is the pdn when the layers merge/I add a background:

http://prntscr.com/3dp2za

How do I stop this from happening?!

The merge order is important. You should always merge from the bottom up. This means merge the two bottom layers first. Repeat this process as many times as you need.

I suspect you're merging from the top down. This plays merry hell with the blend modes as inheritance populates the newly merged layer with the blend mode and applies it to the next lower layer.

Simplest technique for correct merging and entire image? Flatten it with Ctrl + Shift + F.

I will have to try what EER is suggesting, I never new merging had a good/bad order. lol

Anyways, for me with blend modes I personally love to duplicate something three times then give a blend mode to each duplicate, which can result in some very nice visuals. Now, the way I maintain those visuals, without merging layers down, is I will I temporarily uncheck the layers that aren’t my focus point, flatten the image (as EER said), copy the image (ctrl+v), undo the flatten (and undo the unchecks or re-check everything), then I add a new layer and paste (ctrl+v). I then have my blended object all as one layer.

It's tedious, but I have yet to find a better way of doing this, but then again I never new about EER's suggestion. haha.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

It would be nice if Rick could add a "Stamp Visible" function (which is a lesser-known function in Photoshop).  It essentially does what you just described - flatten, copy, unflatten, paste as new image - in one step.  The keyboard shortcut for it in PS is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It would be nice if Rick could add a "Stamp Visible" function (which is a lesser-known function in Photoshop).  It essentially does what you just described - flatten, copy, unflatten, paste as new image - in one step.  The keyboard shortcut for it in PS is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E.

Did you miss Ctrl+Shift+C (Copy Merged), Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste into new image) in PDN4?

midoras signature.gif

The merge order is important. You should always merge from the bottom up. This means merge the two bottom layers first. Repeat this process as many times as you need.

I suspect you're merging from the top down. This plays merry hell with the blend modes as inheritance populates the newly merged layer with the blend mode and applies it to the next lower layer.

Simplest technique for correct merging and entire image? Flatten it with Ctrl + Shift + F.

The blending mode is a big issue on implementing layer groups. Only "pass through" mode of Photoshop allows an easy handling. It's a mess that gimp doesn't support it. Still in hope that Rick will find some time in the future to implement it.

midoras signature.gif

Did you miss Ctrl+Shift+C (Copy Merged), Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste into new image) in PDN4?

I did miss that!  That is nice.  Very helpful.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I thought I read about something that can do the flatten, copy, paste all in one or two steps, but I didn't know what it was called or where I read it. So I didn't know where to find it in paint.net 4.0, or if it was even really implemented (yet). Thanks for letting me know that it is called "copy merged". Now I found it in paint.net 4.0 and I was also able to find the place where I originally read about it. :)

For those interested, the copy merged function is explained here : http://blog.getpaint.net/2012/04/08/new-features-for-paint-net-4-0/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles