Save as JPEG as default

Hello, i know there is other threads abouts that.

I perfectly understand that paint save as png to avoid get information loss.. etc

BUT

Why dont you let us configure an alternative save as to get jpeg ?

Like another short cut  : e.g "ctrl+shift+alt s" would let us save as jpeg without loosing each time 5sec to change png to jpeg. because when you have to save 10-20 print screen in a row that's more than painfull.

give us a option to set jpeg as default ! and if you are so afraid that ppl forget that will make them loose information just make a pop up to remind them why the png can be more interesting for other situation.

personaly, i use paint.net to save in a sec print screen, to add somes informations it in need to post a screen on a forum etc.. and this soft is perfect for that since it load in a sec and its simple enough and fast.

PLEASE ! consider add a OPTION to allow us set jpeg as default save as.

I perfectly know that png is more interesting in somes case, and i dont want discut about why png > jpeg, i just would like to be able to do what i want and have a option to set the jpeg as default.

thanks.

Until/unless this happens, you can hit Ctrl+Alt+S, hit Tab until you reach the 'Save as Type' box, then hit 'J' to change to JPEG.

Rick has always been opposed to extensive settings dialog boxes. I don't know whether we will see this or not. Keep an eye out for the 4.0 releases, though; lots of cool stuff on the way.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I highly recommend learning the keyboard navigation for this. It really is as easy as pressing Tab, then J. It's actually pretty easy to train your muscle memory to do that.

I hear your request, and I do acknowledge that it's legitimate and not stupid or anything. But, I will just be honest and tell you that I will not be implementing this.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 10/5/2013 at 5:12 PM, Rick Brewster said:

I highly recommend learning the keyboard navigation for this. It really is as easy as pressing Tab, then J. It's actually pretty easy to train your muscle memory to do that.

I hear your request, and I do acknowledge that it's legitimate and not stupid or anything. But, I will just be honest and tell you that I will not be implementing this.

Rick, first of all, thanks for creating a wonderful piece of software.  Have been using it and loving it for many years and it's been a valuable tool for image management, creation, etc.  While I've read your rationale for keeping the default setting for saving files (.png), I think you are being a bit too stubborn on this point.  Virtually every application allows the user to choose a default file format even MS products!  With the appropriate disclaimer warning the end user if they modify this, you should make it possible to change the default file 'Save as' format!  Heavy users will find it much more efficient - who wants to deal with additional keystrokes when processing hundreds of images!?  

Thanks again!

Edited by chonaman

Old argument. Old thread.

@chonaman if you wish to restart an old discussion, please just start a new thread. This one is five years old.

Locked.