OutOfMemoryException

g200

Hello Sirs ! I need your help...

PC: Win8 x64 / 16 GB ram / sli gtx 560
Priority: Height or Real Time
Pagefile: ON (10Gb)

Not enough memory for Paint.NET ?? WTF ?

It happens when I load a lot of DDS files (50 - 150 and more), in the middle of this queue. Please don't ask me to load fewer files, my config is should to be enough for Paint.NET...

Application version: Paint.NET версия 3.5.11 (Final Release сборка 3.511.4977.23443)
Time of crash: 24.09.2013 0:40:20
Application uptime: 00:17:39.5725873
Install directory: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET
Current directory: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET
OS Version: 6.2.9200.0 Workstation x64
.NET version: CLR 2.0.50727.6407 x64, FX 2.0 (rtm sp1 sp2) 3.0 (rtm sp1 sp2) 3.5 (rtm sp1 sp1_CP) 4.0 (rtm rtmEx)
Processor: 8x "Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz" @ ~3392MHz (DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2), fps=0x0
Physical memory: 16367 MB
UI DPI: 96,00 dpi (1,00x scale)
UI Theme: Aero/Aero + DWM (Aero.msstyles)
Updates: true, 19.09.2013
Locale: pdnr.c: ru, hklm: ru, hkcu: RU, cc: ru-RU, cuic: ru

Exception details:
System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IPersistStream.Load(IStream pstm)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Cursor.LoadPicture(IStream stream)
   at PaintDotNet.PdnResources.GetCursor2(String fileName) at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\Resources\PdnResources.cs:row 402
   at PaintDotNet.Tools.Tool.Activate() at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\Tool.cs:row 663
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.SetTool(Tool copyMe) at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:row 1098
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.PopNullTool() at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:row 1060
   at PaintDotNet.PushNullToolMode.Dispose() at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\PushNullToolMode.cs:row 35
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:row 1089
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffect(Type effectType) at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:row 695
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.PdnMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e) at D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\PdnMenuItem.cs:row 302
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

my config is should to be enough for Paint.NET...

16 GB for 50+ DDS files?  Not even close.  .DDS files are well-known to be huge, and your memory requirement increases exponentially with every image and layer you have open.  Toss in necessary scratch space and other program and OS overhead, and you're talking about a massive memory requirement that you're nowhere near.  (Read this thread for more info on that; you may not be getting that error, but this is why you're having issues)  You will have to open fewer images at a time.  Perhaps an automation or batch processing program would be more what you're looking for.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It happens when I load a lot of DDS files (50 - 150 and more), in the middle of this queue. Please don't ask me to load fewer files, my config is should to be enough for Paint.NET...

My Honda won't win the Indianapolis 500. Please don't ask me to buy a race car :mrgreen:

I'm just having a laugh (with you, not at you) g200.  I think BoltBait and David have answered your question.  On the other hand - you could double or treble the amount of RAM you have if you really HAVE to load that number of files. 

You have solved your own problem!

OK.. Why Photoshop & GIMP 2 are working with no crashes ? Just I don't like their's iterface

My Honda won't win the Indianapolis 500. Please don't ask me to buy a race car :mrgreen:

I'm just having a laugh (with you, not at you) g200.  I think BoltBait and David have answered your question.  On the other hand - you could double or treble the amount of RAM you have if you really HAVE to load that number of files. 

Why Photoshop & GIMP 2 are working with no crashes ?

Perhaps they manage memory in a different way?

You didn't read the page I linked to.  :-)  There, Rick says:

Programs like Photoshop and The GIMP have complicated memory managers that tile the image, swapping it out to scratch pads (disk) as necessary. This impacts coding complexity because every part of the application that works with the image must take the tiling in to consideration. It also affects performance, but has the advantage of being able to work with much larger images. For Paint.NET, I purposely chose a design that enabled coding simplicity for many reasons.

But as BoltBait said, that will probably be fixed when Version 4.0 is released.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I suspect that when Paint.NET 4.0 comes out you won't have this problem. It has a completely new memory manager which is much more efficient than the one built into 3.x.

NOTE: I do not know WHEN version 4.0 will ship. Sorry.

I shall wait a new release )) Because of PaintNet does not have any batch processor I had to write an Autoit Script... Now I use ScriptLab + simple AutoIt script and had 2 crashes for 4 hours with the same count of opened DDS files ))

PaintNet fails when I perform a lot of mouse actions (only standart effects installed). Maybe there is some issues with Tools / Menus

If the problem is the same error there is little that can be done. If the error is different then please report this separately.