Having Error 1603 Problem

First, I have read every single sticky thread in this sub-forum.

Second, I have scoured the internet in search for a fix, nothing has worked.

I downloaded the installer directly from the THIS SITE. My computer only has one account and it has full privileges to everything and nothing is locked or encrypted. I have fixed my .Net framework multiple times and have reinstalled it multiple times, still a no go. I have .Net framework 3.5 and 4.5 installed, I have uninstalled each differently and tried to reinstall Paint.net, but still a no go.

Can someone, ANYONE, give me a fix that has not been already posted on this forum.

Also the "fix" provided in this thread, just a fyi, the file that is provided is deleted or invalid, so I can't try this solution since there isn't a solution. I would very much like to tryout Paint.Net and move away from Gimp, but this is causing so many headaches and every thread on this forum about this error is responded with "Go to this thread!" or "Have you read the stickies?".

Really annoying.

*Edit: System Specs

-Windows 7 64bit(just reinstalled Windows about 2 weeks ago)

-i5-2500k(no overclock) CPU

-Z68 Gigabyte UD4 Motherboard

-16GB(4x4GB, stock 1333MHz) RAM

-2x7870's GPU

-256GB SSD

-2x1TB Hard drives

-700w PSU

I have no problems installing anything else on this system.

Edited by EChondo

What did SFC report?

Also the "fix" provided in this thread, just a fyi, the file that is provided is deleted or invalid, so I can't try this solution since there isn't a solution.

Read post number 13 in that thread.  Then go back and delete the following from your first post:

First, I have read every single sticky thread in this sub-forum.

What did SFC report?

Read post number 13 in that thread.  Then go back and delete the following from your first post:

SFC reported that nothing was wrong and nothing was found to be wrong. I ran it at least 5 times and tried it again after a restart.

I have tried the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility yesterday, Paint.NET is NOT listed there. Paint.NET doesn't even install. I've tried installing it on my main C drive and on my internal 1TB D drive. I even tried installing it onto my flash drive but it does not allow it.

When I say that I've read everything in this sub forum and have done everything that has been suggested, I really do mean it, so I am not going to delete the first part of my post.

I'm no techie, but for the sake of trying to help...

Did you install it in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"?

I installed in the x86 folder once and Paint.net wouldn't show up anywhere. Maybe (if you did the same), if you install in Program Files instead, the Cleanup Utility will find it.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'm no techie, but for the sake of trying to help...

Did you install it in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"?

I installed in the x86 folder once and Paint.net wouldn't show up anywhere. Maybe (if you did the same), if you install in Program Files instead, the Cleanup Utility will find it.

Thank you for trying to help, but the issue is that Paint.net is not installing AT ALL. Paint.net(at least the one I have) isn't a 32bit installer, so it won't install in the x86 folder, but it doesn't install in the Programs file folder either. The only thing that happens after I run the installer is that I get some compressed files placed in the Program Files>Paint.NET>Staging(compressed)>then there are Windows Installer Packages.

I have tried deleting these files and re-running the installer and have uncompressed the files and tried installing, but I continue to get Error 1603 with Paint.NET not showing up anywhere in "Programs and Features" or any uninstall utility you guys recommend using. Also when the files are uncompressed, Paint.net keeps creating new Windows Installer Packages that are compressed.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

paintnetf.png

I understand these are used to install Paint.net, but every time I try to install Paint.net, a new one pops up and Paint.net does not show up anywhere in any uninstall utility(I have tried my own, RevoUninstaller and doesn't show up there either).

I'll edit my first post with my system specs.

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I uploaded a zip file of paint.net. It won't work as well as an installed copy, but maybe it will work.

File removed by Rick: No, you're not allowed to do that

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I uploaded a zip file of paint.net. It won't work as well as an installed copy, but maybe it will work.

Thank you, but when I try to run Paint.net I get this;

49065863.png

When I click repair, a CMD window pops up for a fraction of a second, then nothing happens.

I have checked Windows update and it appears I can install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)". However when I try to install it, it fails. Right now I'm reinstalling .NET 4.5 and then going to reboot and try to install C++ 2008 again.

My Programs and Features has four C++ 2008 Redistributable installations. Here is a picture that lists all of my C++ installs, including 2010,

98288289.png

It appears to me that this isn't a .NET framework issue, but a Visual C++ issue. Do I need a specific version of C++ to run Paint.net?

Edited by EChondo

And what am I suppose to try exactly? I ran it and all it does is "You need help installing or uninstalling?" I click Install and it brings me to a list of my installed programs. So no, it didn't work. Also I re-ran it and clicked on Uninstall and it brought me to my installed programs, which doesn't help either.

After "Install" choose "Not Listed" or whatever the top option is in the list of programs.

I realize it's frustrating to not have this working, but 1603 is an extremely generic error. It basically means "oh noes something went wrong" but doesn't provide any information on what actually went wrong, which is why there's so many "solutions" for it.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

You can also try using the Windows Installer Cleanup on the 2008 C++ redistributables, though you need to be aware that this may cause other programs to stop working if they rely on the redist. In that case you may need to reinstall the dependent programs.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

After "Install" choose "Not Listed" or whatever the top option is in the list of programs.

I realize it's frustrating to not have this working, but 1603 is an extremely generic error. It basically means "oh noes something went wrong" but doesn't provide any information on what actually went wrong, which is why there's so many "solutions" for it.

I guess I should have clarified that I did click the "Not Listed" option, which did nothing as the program said there was nothing wrong and that "Troubleshooting is complete."

I'm not frustrated at the program or this not working, I'm more frustrated at things that people recommend me do, when I've already done them and have said that I have done them. So far everything Pdnnoob and you(Pyrochild) have suggested I do, I haven't done so far or even read about doing so I thank you both for not giving me generic answers, but these aren't the solutions to my problem.

I thank you both for your help, but nothing you all have suggested I do have done anything to help me. If there is more that you two wish to suggest, by all means please do.