Save an on-screen image (that's < 100%) as final image size.

A bit unusual.
If I load a large image (say 5400 px sq.) in Paint.net (or similar) & choose a zoom level where I like the look / size of individual elements, in ONE area.
Image is still no where near 100%.

I select a rectangle so the ACTUAL size of rectangle_AND the way the selection looks AT THAT ZOOM level, is what I want. Say, to use as Fx header background.

Problem I've had: Because the image I initially cropped wasn't at 100%, when crop it - the PHYSICAL size of the rectangle may be 1920 x 180 px, but the prgm still thinks / knows it's really 3500 x 450 (or such), at 40% zoom. I can't just save the image - as it looks on screen - & it be that size when reopen it.

I DON'T want to resize / resample it, because (sometimes)  that changes the current look (size of certain elements in the image). The only way I've found (gotta be another way) is take a screen shot of the cropped image, at it's CURRENT zoom level. Then it will save as a 1920 x 180 px image, NOT as a 3500 x 450 px image that was at reduced zoom.

If I resize & save at a REDUCED %, it can change the look & size of elements. Every thing I've tried to save the image - at it's PHYSICAL size on screen - say 18.5 in. x 1.75 in. (when image is NOT @ 100% zoom), results in saving a much larger image.  I understand this, but looking for a way around it.  Used various settings & tried to trick the apps many ways - cropping in one app, copying to another - you name it.

Anyone know how to do this, other than screenshot - w/ ANY app? Cheers.

Edited by drawflies

I don't quite understand what you are asking.. but try this. Take the original image dimensions, and multiply both the width and height by the % zoom that you like. Then resize your original image to those dimensions. For example: if the original image is 1920x1080, but you like the way it looks at 66% zoom, then multiply 1920 and 1080 by 0.66 to get 1267 and 713 respectively. Then resize the image to 1267x713. Then save the image. Let me know if that works for you.

When you shrink an image, you are combining the pixels in order to show an approximation of the original image data in a smaller space. There are different ways to combine the pixels called "resampling."

I recommend you try different resampling methods (in the resizing window). Your choices are: Bilinear, Bicubic, and Nearest Neighbor. I would guess that changing the viewing window's zoom resamples with Nearest Neighbor, so try that first.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks to you both.  I'm making it more difficult than it is.  I've learned several things today.

1) Don't tell my wife the truth if she asks how pants make her look.

2) For an engineer & a math teacher & long time math tutor, I must be loosing it.  Sad - just sad.

Yes Daniels, your solution was correct.  My only defense for not figuring it out, is I'm on heavy pain meds.

That said, IrfanView (no, this isn't the IV forum) does something odd when I resize the cropped image.  It retains the height of the cropped image, after resizing to 44%.  But the length changes just a bit after resizing.  May be close enough for gov't work, but odd.  PDN maintains same on-screen L x W dimensions after resizing by to the same % that's shown as current zoom.

pdnnoob - your comment gave interesting insight into different options / methods available when resampling.  I knew they were there - never thought about them.  Now, I'll have to read up.  Thanks.

Other thing caught my attention in PDN resizing options, is the PPI.  I know what it is; even calculated it for my monitor.  Don't know if it affects PDN ON screen images.

Default PPI value = 96 when open resizing screen.  My monitor is ~ 103 PPI (rounded).  Changing the value changes the shown print size, but I don't know if using 96 vs 103 PPI affects images on screen.  It didn't seem to change size of the image I rezized at 44% - using 96 or 103 PPI.  Did show noticeable difference in print size.

1) Don't tell my wife the truth if she asks how pants make her look.

Even I coulda told you that...and I don't even have a girlfriend, much less a wife! :D

paint.net always displays at 96 dpi (or ppi), whether you set the resolution to 96, or to 900.

Also, I recommend not working based on how the image looks on your screen when zoomed out unless you are viewing at a multiple of 50% (ex: 50%, 25%, 12.5%, etc). The way the image appears on your screen at various settings does not represent how it actually looks (because of the resampling problem above). At multiples of 50%, however, resampling works out evenly, resulting in a clean look that is more likely to be an accurate representation of your image. That means it will appear more similar to the image you get when you resize by that same percentage.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

pdnnoob, good to know.  IS dpi = PPI ?  I'm not sure.

You're saying PDN always displays on-screen images at 96 PPI?  Obviously, it lets you change it - I suppose for printing.

I understand about reducing each zoom by a factor of 50% .  I didn't know it made a diff in the way (quality, accuracy) images were displayed.

The zoom selections in PDN don't follow what you said.  Those pre selected values may be just for convenience.  But, wouldn't the accuracy of resampling - at any zoom - depend on the algorithm used, not the zoom of 27% vs 25%?

There may BE a problem, as you said.  But the computer / algorithm should be perfectly capable of dividing the original pixels by any value desired.

No.  DPI is ONLY for printers :)

Paint.net displays images at 96 ppi, but you can change the dpi for printing.

But the computer / algorithm should be perfectly capable of dividing the original pixels by any value desired.

Think of pixels as points with no height, width, or depth--just one-dimensional points on your screen. Just as you can't cut a point in half, your computer can't magically divide a pixel on your monitor just because you ask it to.

As I under stand, pixels wouldn't simply be "cut" or 2 laid side by side, if reducing or increasing size by 50%.  That's where the "resampling" comes in.  I'm no expert on that process, but it involves algorithm(s) - there are several.

This article goes into more detail.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel#Technical

Another possible issue for me & "actual resolution" is, I have Windows system resolution - "dpi" (though, strictly speaking that's for printing) set = 110, vs std. 96.  So I can better read Windows' menus & such.  How much, if at all, that affects displayed resolution vs. stated resolution in PDN, etc., - don't know.  I suppose it depends on each app - whether they use the OS's PPI (dpi) setting.  It certainly affects SOME text size in Fx. 

The Vista setting says "adjust FONT size."  If it truly changes ONLY font size, it wouldn't affect images.  I could easily check by physically measuring a graphic element at 96 PPI (sorry, Windows) & at 110, 120, etc.  There's probably info on that issue, already.

Side question.  Do others see smaller displayed font size in the reply composer window on this forum, than that displayed in submitted posts?

I do - here & on a very few other forums - but not many.  Could be a Vista thing.  But has to be related to specific forum software, as rarely see this issue.

post-88737-0-51397200-1362842409_thumb.j