How to reveal image outside canvas?

Kash

If I paste an image which is larger than the canvas size, a part of the pasted image will be outside the canvas. How can I resize the canvas so it will reveal only the image outside the canvas but no extra white space is shown.

By using the built in "Resize canvas" function, there is a lot of trial and error involved.

if you have the image copied, create a new image (ctrl+n) and the size of the new canvas should automatically be set to the dimensions of the copied image.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Open the larger image first, then import or copy the smaller image on a new layer. Then resize the smaller image as necessary and move the layer down in the layers pane so it's in the position as originally intended (the background).

if you have the image copied, create a new image (ctrl+n) and the size of the new canvas should automatically be set to the dimensions of the copied image.

I know that. I was talking about a smaller image already open and pasting a larger image into the same window.

Open the larger image first, then import or copy the smaller image on a new layer. Then resize the smaller image as necessary and move the layer down in the layers pane so it's in the position as originally intended (the background).

Good idea which would work, but not in all scenarios. I was kind of hoping for an equivalent to the " Reveal all " function of Photoshop but maybe there isn't one.

I wasn't commenting about every situation. I was commenting on the situation as presented. If you're looking for a plugin or change to Paint.NET, then why don't you request it vs. asking for help based upon a circumstance? Mind reading isn't one of my fortes.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't commenting about every situation. I was commenting on the situation as presented. If you're looking for a plugin or change to Paint.NET, then why don't you request it vs. asking for help based upon a circumstance? Mind reading isn't one of my fortes.

No need to get angry about things ! No offence was intended.

I thought the function may already be included in Paint.Net, hence why I came to the forum. I was hoping someone would be nice enough to point me in the right direction.

No need to get angry about things ! No offence was intended.

I thought the function may already be included in Paint.Net, hence why I came to the forum. I was hoping someone would be nice enough to point me in the right direction.

First post: "I've got a question:  PS has such and such a feature, but I can't find it Paint.NET.  Can somebody help me?"

Second post:  "Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant was..."

• Upvote 1

I know that. I was talking about a smaller image already open and pasting a larger image into the same window.

I guess I didn't explain where I was going with that. Rather than guessing, just copy the large image, press ctrl+n to see the image dimensions, then close the "new image" dialogue and change the canvas size to those dimensions before you paste the image.

EDIT: don't bother, though. EER posted a better solution below.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Import the second image using Layers > import from file.

The canvas size will be enlarged if the imported image is larger than the original.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, almost there !

Say if I had to create an image of this web age which you have to scroll down to get 3-4 screen shots. What's the best way to do that?

Pdnnoob's solution would be the best wouldn't it?