Make Vase Pattern Flat Turn 3d image to 2d

Can anyone help?  I have a picture of a vase which of course has the shadow of a 3 dimentional object as well as the warp in the image caused by the image wrapping around the round vase.  Is there a way that I can "unwrap" the image from the vase and to have the picture appear flat?  I tried manually doing it with warp grid but it was a lot of work and did not look very smooth...  Thanks much for your assistance.  D:-)

Depending on the pattern itself, your best bet may be to take a small sample of the pattern and recreate the 2D pattern by copying and pasting.

Again, it really depends on the pattern. If you are comfortable with it, post the image here. It really helps us forumers help you if we know what you are dealing with.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all this is the image that I'm wanting to flatten and turn into a stencil actually... if that helps... really the closest I could get was using the warp but it still did not turn out very smooth so I thought you all might have a brilliant idea :-)

8361838674_5b45fb12bf.jpg

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

I believe any tool or effect you are going to use, will definitely affect the quality.

If this is your vase and you are able to take the photos for it, then the best way is to snap a panoramic photo by taking a set of few photos after rotating the vase around itself, then combine the photos in PDN.

I know it is not an easy technique, but I am sure it gives better result.

You can not avoid to get some distortion. This is like the problem to create a plane map from a globe.

If the vase would be a simple cylinder then you can map it.

Still as yellowman said the quality at the left and right will be bad.

midoras signature.gif

My camera has an automatic panoramic setting. If yours has that it will be much easier or if you could borrow one?

So as a stencil you really only want the outline? 

In this case, I would approach it this way. I've done this a couple of times with images for the goldwork.

1. Make your canvas at least 4 times bigger than what the finished size should be.

2. Make your image (the part you want) as large as possible on the canvas.

3. Create a new layer.

4. Now "Save As" so that you on't get an unexpected crash & lose your work. This is necessary as you will be needing many layers & you need to save every few layers as you merge them down once you are satisfied with the outlines.

5. With the line tool, draw in the lines. Brush width depends on how thick you want the outline to be.

6. At times you will need to sway round ends for flat ends & you need to use the right mouse button to create smooth curves. For the really fiddly bits you will have to take small (tiny even) sections at a time. 

7. Each new line stroke should be on a new layer. Once you are happy with the shape & placement, merge it down. Save. Be very careful not to merge down to your original image. In fact it is a good idea to leave a blank layer (experience talking here ;( )

It is slow & painstaking but if you want a clean, clear stencil that is your best option.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012