docking toolbars

OK Rick, I won't beat around the bush. The continued omission of docking toolbars is a problem.

As a longtime developer myself, I get satisfaction out of adding features that I consider make my software more feature-rich, higher performance, or less prone to problems. I'm a functional kind of person, which is why I became a successful developer. I understand all this, which is why when I read your comments and saw the video with the un-docked tool window, I shuddered, cringed and flinched. [Disgusting expletive deleted], another 2 years?

Dude.

I know you feel that you have your mind made up about this, but I and others have been waiting over 2 years for this one, single, solitary feature. I avoided Photoshop for 8 years during the 90's for the exact same reason. My previous image program, Paint Shop Pro 4.14, won't run on 64-bit systems. I will soon be using Paint.Net exclusively. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way - I've seen other comments to this effect.

So.

What I propose is for you to provide an estimate, money-wise, of what it will take to add docking toolbar capability to version 4.

Then, we begin a donation drive to reach the price. If I can afford it, I'll donate the whole amount myself.

I am so not kidding. Please think it over.

Thanks,

sF

Edited by sfalken

Version 4.0 will absolutely not have this feature. I'm trying to finish what I've already started before the next century, and in order to do that I can't add anything new to the list of stuff being worked on for 4.0. And by anything I mean anything. Even small things are being cut because I'm way past the "MQ" or "refactoring" stage and well into the "execution" stage. I'm running a straight line to the finish.

This is not an issue of money. It's simply a matter of priorities and time. 4.0 is not the be-all-end-all release. It is just a major release, after which minor releases will resume and things like docking toolbars will be up for consideration again.

And, to be honest, I really don't appreciate your grumpy self-entitled attitude on this. I'm just one guy working on this, and as a "longtime developer" you should understand that one person simply cannot deliver an infinite amount of utility in a finite amount of time for one release. Comments with attitudes like yours make me more inclined to stop development and just give up. Why bother if all I'm ever going to get is more and more grief with absolutely no understanding or appreciation?

Dude. I'm so not kidding.

If you want to see what I've been working on, read the blog. There is some epic s**t coming in 4.0, just not docking toolbars.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 7 years later...

Rick-

Yes, countless people appreciate this as goto graphics software!

Me being one of those countless.

That said, I am 'pro-docking' when you get around to it, it would be nice

but no pressure as I understand trying to finish something, ANYTHING,

as I personally have about 10 lifetimes worth of projects too. I just keep

going from one to the next and each progresses but it is SO overwhelming.

Big ATTABOY for a great, simple, extremely useful graphics package :-)

Thank you!

-Christian