Edit menu options displayed in green & not functional

I have only just downloaded Paint.Net but for example; there appears only to be 2 options available ('Undo' or 'Select All') in the 'Edit' menu and the rest are in green & do not function. I have a vista laptop and its spec is as follows:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vista sp1_gdr.080917-1612)

BIOS: BIOS Version HIG.90.0D

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 2038MB RAM

Page File: 1189MB used, 3122MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Is there a reason I am unable to use those greened out Editing options?

Thanks for your time... in advance of any answers given

Any answers would be much appreciated

Have you loaded an image into PDN to see if other options become available? they should do when you make an edit or change to your image. Not sure why yours are green though, all functions not available on mine are grey.

Welcome to the forum by the way, great user name ;)

ZXCBOoZ.png

Hi nitenurse,

You would be very right about that... yes. Those options wake up (except the paste... options) as soon as I played around with a pic. I actually thought I needed 'edit' to get a picture uploaded. So, this is what you get when you have zero Paint IT skills at all lol

Thanks bundles of

Sean

It could be green because of the system color scheme that's been selected. "Classic" and High-Contrast themes tend to cause this. A screenshot would illustrate what's going on :)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hey guys & girls lol... (nitenurse & Rick),

I am already loving this forum... great stuff.

I shall definitely be buying the eBook and in future (if there are any other further issues & I am sure there will be) I will include screen shots.

Perhaps though this recommended Paint.Net eBook will remedy everything (would be sad though not to find any excuse to re-visit here again.

Keep up the good work & thanks once again...

Nice welcome

Regards

Sean

Hey Sean - welcome!

I think that the problem you have/had with the Edit menu was that most of the options in that menu are specific to a Selection being active or something being in the clipboard:

Undo + Redo Require an action has been performed on the opened image in order to be available to Undo the action and then Redo it.

Cut + Copy + Erase Selection + Fill Selection + Invert Selection + Deselect Require an active Selection.

Paste + Paste in to New Layer + Paste in to New Image Require something is contained in the clipboard.

Select All This should be available.

I sincerely hope the book helps. What you'll find in it is a distillation of forum wisdom, Rick's blog, the online documents and years of exploration. I wrote it as a kick-start for beginners, but added enough depth to teach advanced users a little something too ;)