How Do I Create A Lighting Shadow?

I have searched the forums for help with this, but since I am a newbie, I have a feeling I am not searching with right terminology.

So here goes and perhaps someone can direct me to a plugin or a tutorial to answer my question.

I have attached an image that I would like to modify to add a shadow of her in the image, based on lighting directed at her.

How do I do this?

Thanks for the help! :)

post-89492-13329796779019_thumb.jpg

In order to do this the easiest way you'll need to have the subject (the figurine) separated from the background (i.e. on different layers).

This plugin: Shadow Effect creates a directional shadow from an object on a layer.

So what's an object? An object is a group of pixels on an otherwise transparent layer. Easy. So if your figurine is on her own layer & the background is on a different layer you're already there boltbait.smile.png .

If you have a single layered image boltbait.sad.png , you'll need to separate the figurine from the background first. Here's a tutorial that might help: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

To use the plugin mentioned, here's what I do:

1. Duplicate the layer containing the object (hint: :DuplicateLayer: )

2. Select the lower of the two identical layers.

3. Run the plugin. Adjusting the sliders to position the shadow so it is optically pleasing.

Thanks for the help!

I cut out the object from the background and used the plugin.

I also used another plugin to provide additional shadow and highlight.

I have attached my finished product with a shadow.

I don't think I did too bad... so congrats to the teacher! :)

post-89492-13330612028489_thumb.jpg

In order to do this the easiest way you'll need to have the subject (the figurine) separated from the background (i.e. on different layers).

This plugin: Shadow Effect creates a directional shadow from an object on a layer.

The links in the original topic that Ego Eram Reputo mentions here are dead, but if you go down to post #11 he has a direct link to his site. That link still works, lost this plug in long ago and was wanting it back! Thanks Ego for the link over, and good luck MsCarlaK with using PDN! Welcome!!

• Upvote 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My deviantART gallery

Paint.Net Gallery

Thanks for the update zookey. Rep'd.

@MsCarlaK: Nice job on the shadow! You made a very nice job of it.

@kinAxis: Welcome to the forum.

Please read through the Forum Rules. There you will find a rule regarding the size of posted images. The two images you posted are too large (I'll edit your post to link to them for you).

Second: it is not considered good form to hijack another thread with your own requests. Please just create a new thread where your request can be the focus of attention.

Thanks.