how do you create glass pieces like this pic?

I am new to this but have been searching all over for help with no luck. I found similar, but im basically looking to recreate this image. Only with a football coming out of the screen of a laptop. So basically swapping out the soccer ball for a football. Please any help would be greatly appreciated; and or direct me to a site or tutorial with it explained. Thank you. i do not own this image. 1275067326R6h89O.jpg

Short on time to explain with picture examples ... Though I like the concept and have this idea bookmarked for later musings.

This sort of image requires quite a bit of manual manipulation to do with just PDN. There is a fair chance that this example wasn't done with a 3D application from its look, but too hard to tell.

A good example tutorial to get you started is one on creating shattered glass. I searched on shattered glass using the PDN search engine and its the first hit. Shattered Glass Tutorial

Essentially what you have to do is layer on the shattered glass over the top of the football on top of the laptop. The glass more or less can be hand drawn cutouts from the base image screen to help control scale. Then using edge detect and similar plugins you can get the glass edges to blend in etc.

Hope that helps to start.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

That is a pretty cool concept. I've been stagnant about coming up with something new to try out and I think I may (time permitting) give this a whirl this weekend.

The glass more or less can be hand drawn cutouts from the base image screen to help control scale.

Actually, I think the glass would essentially have to be hand created from a semi-transparent blank layer (glass itself). Using cutouts from the base image (if I'm interpretting the statement correctly) would be including the image itself, which is not what you want since it is not transparent. In other words, if I was using a laptop image as the gentlemen wishes to do, then using the lcd screen to create the glass pieces would inherently be using the dark background of the display itself. It seems to me that the glass must be created from its own layer and be totally transparent (with the exception of reflected light off of them, etc) so that the lcd screen background and the second object (the football) are not blocked out.

I do agree that a combination of the two referenced tutorials would probably produce the best results.

Jim you're right, I left a lot, and I do mean a lot, of descriptions/steps out. In the case of cutting the screen up, it would become semi transparent with layer manipulation or other tools. Like in the above pic there is clearly some coloring happening. I only mentioned using it as the base for proportions (Hollywood has everyone thinking things get bigger as they explode, neat effects but can clutter an image like this) and potentially the source coloration to allow for a better blend.

Thanks for helping to flush it out a bit more ... No really, not sarcasm, just basic thank you. I'm fairly absent minded from time to time and this is what the forum approach is supposed to illicit in the way of feedback for people.

Oh, and this source image watermark in the middle never helps on something like this. Sort of have to look at edges of the image to see what they went with.

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Thank you everyone for your responses. Love the 2 techniques. I think that a combination of them both will produce a great image. I'll work on it and see if I can't come up with something. I'm sure ill have tons of questions. Lol so keep the comments coming.