My feature suggestion list

Hi my name is Mihkel Tael, I use paint.net for my everyday work, I draw mainly small sprites for games and user interfaces. After doing a lot research to find good free alternative to photoshop I can say paint.net is probably the best free multifunctional sprite editor out there, thanks!

Here is my feature suggestion list:

*All adjustments should have check box "preserve last settings", insted always preserving them. Preserving adjustments settings is usefull then one wants to apply same settings for many different files, but if working with different objects, its pain in the <Family-friendly forum.> to set them to default manually every time.

*If closing program, tool settings should be saved, so if you open the program again, everything is exactly as you left it.

*Hide selection boarders - its extremely important then using adjustments functions to fine tune color of details. Selection boarder starting to influence and mingle coloring options.

*Changing layer order by dragging them with mouse - I think, its much more intuitive.

*Clicking layer visibility checkbox should also select that layer - Right now selected layer and hovering mouse over layers have same color, so then clicking visibility checkboxes it seems like selecting that layer, but actually don´t.

*Its probably to photoshop like, but active layer properties should be shown in the header of layer window.

*Moving selected area by clicking and dragging it with selection tool - then i first started using paint.net it was really uncomfortable to switch selection and moving tool every time then I need to move something. Now its become a habit, but I feel its still fuzzing the workflow.

*Full screen editing - then designing something its really important to see and edit your work without menubars, because they effect your composition options even then you are aware of that.

*Customising shortcuts - or at least using different keys for all tools, its confusing to press "s" four times to select magic wand.

*Option to make moving selection behave like new layer, so transparency don´t overlap other things on that layer. I think, it feels more intuitive, selection tools can be used more roughly, to select and compose different elements in same layer. But there are cases then selection moving behavior like now have advantages, so it should be option to select different modes.

*Color picker should work thru all layers.

Edited by Mihkel

WARNING: wall of text in response to text wall!

As usual, I'm here to respond negatively to all the feature suggestions ;) please do not take offense at anything I say, as it is merely my personal (negative) opinion as a paint.net user. Let's just say I'm playing the "devil's advocate" so to speak...I'm simply here to provide a list of possible cons or reasons why certain suggestions may be unneeded.

preserve last setting checkbox: It is also a pain in the family friendly forum to check checkboxes every time you open paint.net, as it doesn't preserve settings from previous sessions (I assume this is why you added the next suggestion...). Also, this would mean either Rick has to either force all plugin creators to add such a checkbox, or he would have to add an automatic-checkbox-adder or something.

tool setting save: this would go great with the preserve last setting checkbox. However, I would like to argue that this needs a checkbox as well for the same reason you gave for the previous suggestion. Together, the two may be acceptable.

hide selection border: I assume you intend for this to be a button or something, because I very much appreciate my selection outlines. If so, I'm all for it ;)

change layer order via drag: No offense intended, but you could just put your layers where you want them in the first place. Just select the layer you wish the new one to be above and add the new layer. If you want to move a layer a long way, you can just make a new layer with the same settings and copy and paste. It's really only a matter of planning ahead.

layer visibility check boxes: This issue really depends on your reason for clicking on the box. While I do occasionally face the dilemma of which you speak, more often, I find myself changing the visibility of a layer to see my work done on a different layer.

layer properties in header: agreed

Clicking and dragging: I don't see any way to logically solve this problem other than making it an annoying setting to set like that of the color picker. Do I want to automatically switch to the move tool after every selection? Not necessarily, but how would you the program decide when to go from one setting to the next? Photoshop solves this with an annoying button combination every time you wish to move something which new users have no means of discovering unless told it exists.

Full screen editing: I'm not entirely sure what your reasoning was behind this. Would you mind re-explaining?

Customizing shortcuts: I seem to recall seeing this one somewhere recently...Honestly, there is no reason you can't just click on the magic wand tool instead. Mind you, I do find the shortcuts a bit impractical myself. I just use the practical solution instead.

Moving selection option: If you have two different objects, you should have two different layers. It's what the layers are there for. It is slightly more intuitive the way you suggest, but I highly recommend you switch to layers for more reasons than I am willing to list.

Color picker: Agreed, but this should also be optional. Temporary workaround: Flatten image, color pick, ctrl+z

That's my negative thoughts on your suggestions. Otherwise, it looks like a good list of ideas, and I hope Rick gets around to reading them and gives us his thoughts soon!

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

No offense taken, also sorry for my weak English.

hide selection border: I assume you intend for this to be a button or something, because I very much appreciate my selection outlines. If so, I'm all for it boltbait.wink.png

Yes, I mean keyboard shortcut wold be handy.

Full screen editing: I'm not entirely sure what your reasoning was behind this. Would you mind re-explaining?

Maybe I am to perfectionist, but I feel that seeing all menus, toolboxes and windows start menu bar affect my composition and coloring choices.

Clicking and dragging: I don't see any way to logically solve this problem other than making it an annoying setting to set like that of the color picker. Do I want to automatically switch to the move tool after every selection? Not necessarily, but how would you the program decide when to go from one setting to the next? Photoshop solves this with an annoying button combination every time you wish to move something which new users have no means of discovering unless told it exists.

Not after every selection, only then you click inside selection and drag, like in old mspaint.

all these suggestions(no offence) Are totally useless to me .. Even some of them will make the program worse .

*Changing layer order by dragging them with mouse - I think, its much more intuitive.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">*Clicking layer visibility checkbox should also select that layer - Right now selected layer and hovering mouse over layers have same color, so then clicking visibility checkboxes it seems like selecting that layer, but actually don´t

.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

These will cause stupid trouble ..

Ahmed

Maybe I am to perfectionist, but I feel that seeing all menus, toolboxes and windows start menu bar affect my composition and coloring choices.

I see what you mean. At the moment, there is an option to hide the floating windows if that helps.

Not after every selection, only then you click inside selection and drag, like in old mspaint.

The issue I have with this suggestion is that, often, I find myself re-selecting, sometimes actually starting the new selection inside the old. However, I wouldn't mind if the selection tools had resizing the selection built-in, because making a perfect selection first try can be pretty difficult...I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes, editing the content of the selection isn't the first thing one might wish to do after making a selection.

@AhmedElyamani: Completely uncalled for, and you gave absolutely no reasoning behind your argument. "These will cause stupid trouble" and "no offense" just don't mix very well (the word stupid used in this manner is typically used for the sole purpose of being offensive). Would you care to explain your reasoning?

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

English may not be Ahmed's first language - so let's cut him a little slack on the use of the word 'stupid'.

That said I'm inclined to disagree with Ahmed and agree with Mihkel on those particular ideas. Mouse reordering of layers & check box selecting the layer seem like good ideas to me.

Right now toggling the active layer to hidden makes the next visible layer the active one. So I support the idea that this should also work in reverse.