Plugin causes Program to Crash(?)

... when attempting to open.

To elaborate-- I recently downloaded an Effects Plugin from a "paint.net effects" search on Google. Was that a bad idea? Well, if it was, I understand. My main problem is that now Paint Dot Net won't open. When I click the shortcut, this window pops up:

pdnerror.jpg

I have tried to install that version, but I've only found v3.5. I've realized now how much of an addiction I have to Paint Dot Net... boltbait.roll.png

EDIT: The program worked fine after installing... maybe I just have too many effects installed now?

Edited by malfin

PdnRepair is not a plugin. It's a repair program that comes bundled with paint.net.

It looks like your shortcut is pointing to the wrong target file. Try manually navigating to the paint.net folder and double clicking on the paint.net application to see if that fires it up. If it does then you just need to change your shortcut to the correct file.

I recently downloaded an Effects Plugin from a "paint.net effects" search on Google. Was that a bad idea?

Yes. Very bad idea. Only download plugins from the forum.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@Ego Eram Reputo -- I do believe the link is pointing to the right page, as I have checked myself. Perhaps your browser is redirecting?

@Rick Brewster -- Yes, I figured that was the case. Since we have that established, perhaps I could receive some guidance as to the nature of the pop-up window? Would uninstalling Paint.net (saving the new effects of course) and reinstalling help? The effects seemed to be working fine upon first download. Actually, thinking about it, my computer has been glitching recently... it may just be a hard-drive error.

@Ego Eram Reputo -- I do believe the link is pointing to the right page, as I have checked myself. Perhaps your browser is redirecting?

@Rick Brewster -- Yes, I figured that was the case. Since we have that established, perhaps I could receive some guidance as to the nature of the pop-up window? Would uninstalling Paint.net (saving the new effects of course) and reinstalling help? The effects seemed to be working fine upon first download. Actually, thinking about it, my computer has been glitching recently... it may just be a hard-drive error.

Or something nasty from the plugin. Run all checks & update windows? I am pretty sure I have v.4.0 of the .NET Framework. You should be able to get that from Microsoft.

No PDN is a bummer.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

No, I'm not talking about the link you mentioned. I'm referring to the shortcut that you use to start Paint.net. It should be in the taskbar or on your desktop etc...,

Find that shortcut and right click on it. Select Properties and find the path to the target file. Post what it says in that box.

The link you provided is the correct one for KrisVDM's plugin pack. There should be no issues with that or the plugin pack itself.

Rick is correct in that it is far better to get your plugins directly from this forum. You never know what nastiness you might download following a Google search. The plugins released on this forum are trustworthy.

No, I'm not talking about the link you mentioned. I'm referring to the shortcut that you use to start Paint.net. It should be in the taskbar or on your desktop etc...,

Find that shortcut and right click on it. Select Properties and find the path to the target file. Post what it says in that box.

The link you provided is the correct one for KrisVDM's plugin pack. There should be no issues with that or the plugin pack itself.

Rick is correct in that it is far better to get your plugins directly from this forum. You never know what nastiness you might download following a Google search. The plugins released on this forum are trustworthy.

"C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe"

Is this what you mean?

Yes that's the one. It looks perfect.

Tell me exactly how you get that popup from the first post. Just by starting Paint.Net?

Have you tried running PDNRepair as a separate process? (navigate to the paint.net folder and double click on the pdnrepair.exe file)

If that fails to fix the problem then you might be best to download and install a fresh copy of Paint.net.