Make icon edge transparent (from white background)

Hi All,

I'm trying to make the attached icons have a transparent background. Tried just selecting the white space but this causes the edges to look awful on dark backgrounds.

I've also tried the Grim Color Reaper but cannot find a setting that keeps the icon as it is, only making the edge semi transparent.

Any advice would be great!

post-80233-129660920755_thumb.png

the format you save on will have an effect- .png will support transparency, .jpg does not(if i remember correctly) and .gif is limited on its transparency , sooo.. png would be best if nothing else says you have to use a dif file format

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

The icon file format *.ICO will also preserve transparency. You'll need to download and install the Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format filetype plugin to get *.ico file support in Paint.Net.

• 4 years later...

See if this makes them look OK:

Set Magic Wand tolerance to zero.

Click on white > Delete.

Apply AA's Assistant plugin effect at default settings.

I'm new to Paint.NET, started off looking for the Magic Want in vanilla paint...

So, having set Magic Wand Tolerance to zero, where do I find "white" and "Delete" ?

Click on a white pixel, then hit the Delete key on your keyboard.

Welcome aboard Swifty. Here on the forum we discourage replying to old posts. This thread is four years old. If you wish to restart a discussion, please just start a new thread. Thanks.