Molten-Metal Rings

noahintergalactic

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Plugins needed crystalize This is what you will finish with

First start with a circle in the middle of the picture brush size 50-80

Next use luminosity (adjustments, curves, luminosity) and make it into an arc.

Now zoom blur (effects, blurs, zoom blur) from the very center of your circle

Now Crystallize the image (cell size 8/effects, distort crystallize)

Now duplicate the layer and switch the top layers blending mode to "Addictive" (you may have to do this several times to make it bright enough) and merge down.

Next do a Gaussian blur (radius 2-3)

Now, again, use luminosity (same arc shape) until the ring begins to look like the crystals have been outlined (takes about 3 repeated times)

Next is another curve thing, but use the RBG curves, not luminosity, mess around with these however you like

now repeat the luminosity step once

and do the same RBG curves once

and you are done!

sigsmall.jpg

Switch blending to the "Addictive"...nice =D lol, jk

Nice effect. Simple(not a bad thing though!).....but it may be too simple

afcdon posted the wrong link, I think...the Tut rules is this one.

I can't say if your tut violates any rules, only the mods can decide that for sure, but IMHO, you may want to reread rules -5a and 6.

I'm been around since Septemberish, and have been using PdN for a lot longer and still don't feel skilled enough to post tuts.(I'm getting there though! lol) Your first post doesn't have to be spreading knowledge.

Good luck though...Many of the users on here can be harsh, but don't let that turn you away from the forum or using PdN. Harshness is just a way to get people to work harder on their art and create better, more amazing arts.

brokecarsig.jpg

I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with this tut. It is very hard to tell exactly what the effect is, because the screenshots are so small.

The first linked image is only 250x156 pixels, so after viewing it I'm still unsure of the result.

@noahintergalactic, please consider making the screenshots a little larger so it's easier to see what this tut is all about.

I'm guessing by run out of room, you mean making to post...I'm that you put the pictures directly on the text editor thing...

What you need to do is upload ALL of the images to an image uploading site such as photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc...And then link them through thumbnails. That way, it'll show up small on the thread, but if you click on the image, it's full sized =D

Although, looking at the finished product closer, it looks more like some kinda molten metal or something then an energy ring. I tend to think of energy rings as more lightning-ish...but each to their own =)

I would like larger photos to know exactly what variables you used...I couldn't make it look as molten as yours =/...or get the outline...lol...I retract my previous statement about it being too simple...=)

brokecarsig.jpg

Around here we don't bite the Newbs. Count the posts.

From what I can see, the effect is rather unique. noahintergalactic has done a pretty good job explaining it too.

@noahintergalactic:

This is what you need to do to fix the screenshots:

What you need to do is upload ALL of the images to an image uploading site such as photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc...And then link them through thumbnails. That way, it'll show up small on the thread, but if you click on the image, it's full sized =D

Around here we don't bite the Newbs. Count the posts.

From what I can see, the effect is rather unique. noahintergalactic has done a pretty good job explaining it too.

@noahintergalactic:

This is what you need to do to fix the screenshots:

OK sorry,got out the wrong side of the bed.boltbait.lol.png

me.png             

Well I tried to insert the images the way you all suggested but it wouldn't work :/ so i did the next best thing...

You are so close! I've edited the first post to give you an idea of the format. The first two, and last image have been made into clickable thumbnail links.

Log on to your PhotoBucket account and click on the image you want to link to. When it opens you'll find a list of links provided, copy the one that says IMG THUMB and paste this into the correct location in your post. Delete the attachment.

Repeat this for each of the attached links.