Changing Tools Display

By default the tools are shown as icons. As a newbie I can find out what they are by hovering over them. It is also possible to have a display with a written description of each icon by clicking on the arrow on the dropdown toolbox but as soon as a tool is selected the display reverts to the icons only. Is it possible to make the icon + text either the default one or to remain for the session?

ItsBob

Thanks. I have no difficulty in remembering but I am a member of a group of elderly photographers who have adopted Paint.NET and do have difficulty. I tried to capture the display with Vista's Snipping Tool with the intention of printing it out but it disappears as soon as you clip on it.

Again you have missed the point. There is no need to print out the tools menu you have shown because it is always there by default. By clicking on the arrow in the tab marked "Tool" a single column list of the tools with a written description of what it does appears. I wanted this to either be the default display or print it out. Any attempt to select it fails because as soon as any key is pressed the display reverts immediately to the default one. Try it! The group are making good progress and soon there will not be any need for the icons + text menu. It is not important but I did not like giving up.

Again you have missed the point. There is no need to print out the tools menu you have shown because it is always there by default.

He was suggesting drawing the labels on that image.

I wanted this to either be the default display
Any attempt to select it fails because as soon as any key is pressed the display reverts immediately to the default one. Try it!

FYI, it's not a display mode, it's a dropdown menu.

or print it out.

Take a screenshot of it and print that.

KaHuc.png

Yes Yes Yes - This is exactly what I want. Now let me into the secret! If I cannot make it the default display then a very good second best would be to print it out and give a copy to the beginners. My DOS is Vista and prt sc has been replaced by their Snipping Tool which I have put to great use but when I try to copy it as soon as I press any key the display vanishes. You have raised my hope that there is a method. I can be stupid some time and have just used the Snipping Tool to select your table. I would still like to know how you did it. As a Newbie to Paint.NET I cannot find how to give you credit.

ItsBob,

I generally use Gadwin PrintScreen (freeware version)

for screen captures.

It can be configured for delayed capture, so if you trigger

the screen capture and immediately open the menu it will

catch the open menu.

Even though that works, the image above was just copied

from the Help file.

(I have some non-standard icons, so my screenshot

wouldn't make a good reference piece)

=========================================

Just as an additional comment on PDN screenshots,

if you find that the Tools/History/Layers/Colors windows

don't show up in screenshots, be sure that the windows

aren't set to Translucent.

My DOS is Vista and prt sc has been replaced by their Snipping Tool which I have put to great use but when I try to copy it as soon as I press any key the display vanishes.

If you just press the print screen key and nothing else it should just take a screenshot of the whole screen which you can then crop.

KaHuc.png

Yes Yes Yes - This is exactly what I want.

Um...., so copy and paste Sarkut's image into Paint.Net? Right click the image > copy. Open PDN > CTRL + V