Are tablet PC's any good?

Bdragon

I've had Paint.net for a while now and I've seen some complaints about the new update not working well for tablets (you get what you pay for). But I was wondering if using a tablet to draw is any better than using a normal PC.

Hello Bdragon.

The only way Paint.NET isn't working 'well' with tablet PCs is that it no longer supports pressure sensitivity, like it used to. Whether this will be added back in the future is unknown. However, Paint.NET should still work with your tablet PC, with the pen acting as a regular mouse.

As for whether a tablet PC is any better that a desktop PC is entirely your decision. Some might say the use of a pen over a mouse is a great advantage, allowing for a more fluid, natural draw; some may well be hopeless with a pen and prefer the mouse. It all depends on what you feel most comfortable with, what exactly you want to do in Paint.NET (adding text to a poster versus portraiture), or what equipment you possess (you can buy pen peripherals to substitute the mouse).

(you get what you pay for)
Just because something is free of charge does not mean it lacks in quality or quantity to that of something which is costly. Paint.NET's feature-set is decided by the free-time of the sole developer. If you apply additional coders and resources to the project for the same price, the result is the GIMP. Go download that if you're unhappy. Your comment reads as though you're unappreciative of the time and effort that is afforded to this program by said sole developer.

I used a Wacom Tablet for a while and I absolutely hated it. In order for you to get used to it might take a while. I mean using the line tool is much faster and much more accurate than getting used to a pressure sensitive pen. Plus, your lines will hardly be as sharp and clear as the ones made with the PDN line tool. That's just my opinion. Others say tablets are great. Maybe you can ask someone to borrow it and see for yourself. :)

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Personally, I love them. I don't have one, but when I borrow my friends, Gimp makes me a happy fellow.

It is a lot easier to draw with and gets very nice lines. It takes a while to get used to but once you do, it is fantastic.

Hello Bdragon.

The only way Paint.NET isn't working 'well' with tablet PCs is that it no longer supports pressure sensitivity, like it used to. Whether this will be added back in the future is unknown. However, Paint.NET should still work with your tablet PC, with the pen acting as a regular mouse.

As for whether a tablet PC is any better that a desktop PC is entirely your decision. Some might say the use of a pen over a mouse is a great advantage, allowing for a more fluid, natural draw; some may well be hopeless with a pen and prefer the mouse. It all depends on what you feel most comfortable with, what exactly you want to do in Paint.NET (adding text to a poster versus portraiture), or what equipment you possess (you can buy pen peripherals to substitute the mouse).

(you get what you pay for)
Just because something is free of charge does not mean it lacks in quality or quantity to that of something which is costly. Paint.NET's feature-set is decided by the free-time of the sole developer. If you apply additional coders and resources to the project for the same price, the result is the GIMP. Go download that if you're unhappy. Your comment reads as though you're unappreciative of the time and effort that is afforded to this program by said sole developer.

I'm not unhappy or anything. I was just curious. A friend of mine just got a tablet PC with Photoshop so I was wondering if Paint.net was as good on a tablet as it is on a desktop. I didn't want to spend $1000+ to try something that wouldn't work.

Note this:

The only way Paint.NET isn't working 'well' with tablet PCs is that it no longer supports pressure sensitivity, like it used to.