Paint.NET v3.5 is now available!

Hey yellowman... I have checked and checked under Effects > photo and the Highlight/Shadow is not there. Is it under another name now or something ? This is driving me nuts. Everyone keeps saying it is under Effects > photo ... but its not for me. It used to be under adjustments then at the bottom under sepia 2.

So the selection in v3.5 is solid line I am just wondering why it wasn't dash line or dotted line ( I don't mean moving ants line but static dash or dotted line), could be that hogs more cpu than solid line or it isn't possible to have that, it is a minor issue anyways thanks a million Rick and every one for the update.

It isn't a solid line. It isn't an issue. It's working exactly as intended.

It only looks like a solid line when it's on a pure-white or pure-black background.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

This version is great and all, but the text tool has almost completely changed. The fonts have been cleaned up by reducing anti-aliasing if I'm correct, and that's great for generic fonts, but for the more complex ones, like ComixHeavy, it looks just terrible. To give you a clear picture, look at this. The original word is at the top and what comes now is at the bottom. Could you please find a way to bring back the original quality for fonts?

PDN now does this wierd thing when I flatten/merge layers. Say if I merge a layer down, and it's set to additive or whatever, then when I merge it down it flickers to as if it is set to normal, then goes to what it should look like when merged. It's only really a problem when I'm trying to compare what a layer looks like visible/not visible. This also happens when I make a layer visible/invisible.

If your not understanding what I'm saying, I could try to upload a video. Also, This happened when I was on XP, then upgraded to win7, and is still happening, so not OS related.

Good job on the update!!!

One prob though, the default file type for saving an image comes up as .PNG. Is there any way to set it to save as a JPEG every time PDN is opened? ie a default file save/save as setting? I know this was an issue in 3.36, and it stills seems to be an issue in 3.5. :-(

Is there a workaround? Am I missing something somewhere?

ie a default file save/save as setting? I know this was an issue in 3.36, and it stills seems to be an issue in 3.5. :-(

This isn't an issue -- it's behaving exactly as designed.

Is there a workaround? Am I missing something somewhere?

There is no setting for the default save type.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have read through all of the comments and I too would like to congratulate the whole team for the upgrade. I do however have a concern that I have not seen addressed in any of the previous posts. It could be very well that it is my work or work ethic that is the flaw. I usually work in images that are 1000 to 1500 in size and are usually at 200 pix in resolution. In the previous versions (I have been here for the last two, I think) I sometimes had jaggy edges and could clean them up with the feather and sometimes alias and followed by the feather. On the very first image I am working on I have really bad jaggies on every bit of the text. It is a nice clean font, so that is not the issue. I have even deleted the image and started over with a resolution of 400 and still have jaggies on the text while doing the very same things I have been doing for months with no problems with the dreaded jaggies. I know it's not the computer because this is a graphics machine for CAD and GIS with a very nice video card. So am I working at too low of a resolution now that PdN has been improved?

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

You're using XP, or Vista without the Platform Update, or on Win7 RC. In which case Paint.NET is using the GDI text driver; GDI+ was removed for (major) stability reasons. If you upgrade to Win7, or install the Platform Update for Vista, then Paint.NET will use DirectWrite and the text will be awesome.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You're using XP, or Vista without the Platform Update, or on Win7 RC. In which case Paint.NET is using the GDI text driver; GDI+ was removed for (major) stability reasons. If you upgrade to Win7, or install the Platform Update for Vista, then Paint.NET will use DirectWrite and the text will be awesome.

I see (no not really, I'm not a programmer). But I think I get the gist of what you are saying. Yes I am using XP and I assume from what you are saying that as long as I do, my text will look the way it does now? Am I going to have the same problems with other "non-text" objects?

I don't see an upgrade to Windows 7 while I am on this laptop. I just don't have the money to invest in a new operating system or much of anything really. I'm hoping that this laptop will last me at least another year or more.

Thanks for the reply Rick. It is really an amazing advancement in PdN. The fact that it loads and works so much faster is a great accomplishment.

If anyone might have a suggested work around or a way to smooth out the text, I would be grateful to hear it.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE