Seamless Grass Texture tutorial needed

Hello all! I've been searching for a grass tutorial, because i am making a jungle track. What i found by searching on the forum was this & this, but i need a seamless grass texture tutorial, so it wasnt what i was looking for.

I've been trying out some methods and the closest thing i came to seamless jungle grass was this:

Grass.png

Thanks for the help.

Urne

EDIT: Ah, and btw 256x256 is appreciated ;)

Hello all! I've been searching for a grass tutorial, because i am making a jungle track. What i found by searching on the forum was this & this, but i need a seamless grass texture tutorial, so it wasnt what i was looking for.

I've been trying out some methods and the closest thing i came to seamless jungle grass was this:

Grass.png

Thanks for the help.

Urne

EDIT: Ah, and btw 256x256 is appreciated ;)

Thank you, but i aleready saw that one. I need a "top-view of grass" texture. But actually after experimentating, T got a good result :D

Let me show how i did, so you can come with suggestions to how to make it better. :)

Seamless Grass Texture (256x256)

Start by changing the Canvas Size :CanvasSize: to 260x260

Use the Paintbucket :FillSelection: to Paint the background Black

Add a new layer :AddNewLayer: Use the Paintbucket :FillSelection: to paint the layer white and add some noise using the settings below. Your Picture should now look like tuttifrutti like you see to the right below.

Addnoise.pngTuttiFrutti.png

Make the picture black and white :BlackAndWhite: & duplicate the layer :DuplicateLayer: . Now, use Smooth on Layer 1, and go to Layer Properties :Properties: on layer 2. Set the Opacity down to 109. Merge the Layer 2 down to Layer 1 :MergeDown: and duplicate the Layer again :DuplicateLayer: . Your Layer's Windows should now look like this.

LayerWindow1.png

Select Layer 1 and use Alpha Mask on it. Select Layer 2 And use Alpha Mask with the Invert Selection checkbox marked. Go to Rotate/Zoom :RotateZoom: , mark the tiling checkbox and change the X Pan to 0,276. The layerwindow and texture should now look like this.

LayerWindow+Texture.png

Find 2 good green Colors and use Color Tint (using primary colour) on Layer 1. Use brightness/Contrast :BrightnessContrast: afterwards to make it darker. Now go to Layer 2, use Color Tint (using secondary color) and use Brightness/Contrast :BrightnessContrast: again to make it darker. Select Layer 1 again and merge layer down :MergeDown:

Use Hue/Saturation afterwards to get the color you want of the grass.

LayerWindow+Texture2.png

To make it seamless and in 256x256 size, flatten the image, Choose the Rectangle selector :RectangleSelectTool: . Start at the cordinates 2,2 and make a square while holding Shift until you selected a 256x256 square. Copy the selection and make a new image to paste it to. Go to the old image, press Ctrl+I to invert the selection, copy it and paste it to a new image. Re-Size :Resize: it to 256x256, Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C. Create a new layer on the 256x256 grass texture and paste. Use true feather with the standard settings and flatten.

Your result should look like this:

GrassTexture.png

Thank you, but i aleready saw that one. I need a "top-view of grass" texture. But actually after experimentating, T got a good result :D

Let me show how i did, so you can come with suggestions to how to make it better. :)

Seamless Grass Texture (256x256)

Start by changing the Canvas Size :CanvasSize: to 260x260

Use the Paintbucket :FillSelection: to Paint the background Black

Add a new layer :AddNewLayer: Use the Paintbucket :FillSelection: to paint the layer white and add some noise using the settings below. Your Picture should now look like tuttifrutti like you see to the right below.

Addnoise.pngTuttiFrutti.png

Make the picture black and white :BlackAndWhite: & duplicate the layer :DuplicateLayer: . Now, use Smooth on Layer 1, and go to Layer Properties :Properties: on layer 2. Set the Opacity down to 109. Merge the Layer 2 down to Layer 1 :MergeDown: and duplicate the Layer again :DuplicateLayer: . Your Layer's Windows should now look like this.

LayerWindow1.png

Select Layer 1 and use Alpha Mask on it. Select Layer 2 And use Alpha Mask with the Invert Selection checkbox marked. Go to Rotate/Zoom :RotateZoom: , mark the tiling checkbox and change the X Pan to 0,276. The layerwindow and texture should now look like this.

LayerWindow+Texture.png

Find 2 good green Colors and use Color Tint (using primary colour) on Layer 1. Use brightness/Contrast :BrightnessContrast: afterwards to make it darker. Now go to Layer 2, use Color Tint (using secondary color) and use Brightness/Contrast :BrightnessContrast: again to make it darker. Select Layer 1 again and merge layer down :MergeDown:

Use Hue/Saturation afterwards to get the color you want of the grass.

LayerWindow+Texture2.png

To make it seamless and in 256x256 size, flatten the image, Choose the Rectangle selector :RectangleSelectTool: . Start at the cordinates 2,2 and make a square while holding Shift until you selected a 256x256 square. Copy the selection and make a new image to paste it to. Go to the old image, press Ctrl+I to invert the selection, copy it and paste it to a new image. Re-Size :Resize: it to 256x256, Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C. Create a new layer on the 256x256 grass texture and paste. Use true feather with the standard settings and flatten.

Your result should look like this:

GrassTexture.png

Make your grass texture, then use panelling plugin to bring the outside to the inside. So if you have a 256x256 canvas, use panelling plugin at: Horizontal - 128 and Vertical - 128. Then clone-stamp the clear edges, to make then disappear, and you have a seamless texture!

☆★☆★Merry Christmas★☆★☆

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Make your grass texture, then use panelling plugin to bring the outside to the inside. So if you have a 256x256 canvas, use panelling plugin at: Horizontal - 128 and Vertical - 128. Then clone-stamp the clear edges, to make then disappear, and you have a seamless texture!

☆★☆★Merry Christmas★☆★☆

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Someone93:

i tried out your method on some noise and on my texture too, and it gives a nice effect. But i still prefer my grass as it was before. Also because it was harder to make the grass seamless after the smudge. But thank you anyway. I appreciate that you shared your secret :)

MadJik:

For some reason the Oblique either doesnt have thoose settings you use in your tutorial, or else i can't read what the letters stands for. Here is the Oblique i got installed:

Oblique.png

All suggestions will be appreciated related to the grass texture and everything. i really appreciate your help, i hope you know that. :wink:

Someone93:

i tried out your method on some noise and on my texture too, and it gives a nice effect. But i still prefer my grass as it was before. Also because it was harder to make the grass seamless after the smudge. But thank you anyway. I appreciate that you shared your secret :)

MadJik:

For some reason the Oblique either doesnt have thoose settings you use in your tutorial, or else i can't read what the letters stands for. Here is the Oblique i got installed:

Oblique.png

All suggestions will be appreciated related to the grass texture and everything. i really appreciate your help, i hope you know that. :wink: