Could You Help A n00b pick the Next Lesson?

I got Paint.net monday and I'm doing fairly well. Been through the help files, did a couple newbie guide things so I know my way around the menus. I'm stuck trying to figure out what to learn to do next and I've been looking around at the tutorials and reading them but I don't know which one to do.

Is there maybe a list that shows poor n00bs what order to use the existing tutorials so we don't grab one that's way over our heads? Maybe some guide that says, "Now you've done these 4 tutorials, try these next 3 tutorials in any order."

Anyhoo, if there's no list. And I know pretty much all the basics and have done the tuts for wet floor reflection, "make a wave" and some other one to make parchement...and I've played around with all the tools...(magic wand is still a bit ...mysterious) I've made some of my own stuff by now like a setting sun and taken a cat out one picture and put it over a background, so I know a bit about layering. I am not ready yet to add plugins tho. I want to get more time with the exising tools in the box before I add more.

So, what tut would you recommend I try next?

Whatever you want. The tutorials are there for your (the user) benefit. Pick whatever interests you.

:( the problem is, when I pick the ones that I want, I find things in them that are over my head right now and I just end up getting stuck. :oops: I think I need to get a tutorial with no plugins required that'll give me a really good lesson on layers, what to do with them and show how the transparency values effect each layer.

Whatever you want. The tutorials are there for your (the user) benefit. Pick whatever interests you.

:( the problem is, when I pick the ones that I want, I find things in them that are over my head right now and I just end up getting stuck. :oops: I think I need to get a tutorial with no plugins required that'll give me a really good lesson on layers, what to do with them and show how the transparency values effect each layer.

I think This tutorial fits that description pretty well.

I've been doing just that, Helen, drawing stuff, or using pics I got and just playing around. There's only so much I can learn on my own doing that though, so i go into tutorials to get new ideas to play around with some more.

Instruction in the tutorials are sometimes written in such a way that I can't do them without having to go do three other tutorials. For example, here's a step I saw somewhere "Type something."

Okay...what if I didn't know that you need to click on a new tool to be able to type something? Okay yeah we should know this stuff from doing the interactive beginner's guide or reading the help files. (I knew very well how to type something btw that's just an example of what I've been runing into) but how about a tiny reminder? How about saying..."go get the 'text tool' and type something."

There's also other problems like this one is a good example viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26967

the title looked like something I wanted to try. Basic and easy.

I'm assuming that the tutorial was done with images and instructions attached right into the images. There's nothing there now at all, so I can't learn that one. I hope it gets updated, or redone.

I know I'm trying to make a point here, but i think I'm so new that I don't know what it is I'm trying to say. *pulls out hair and runs in circles*

• Upvote 1