Edge Detect messed up...

Go to solution Solved by mm7916,

Hello, Everyone!

I am trying to create a Transparent image on my .JPG file, but it has a shadow-looking area on the right-hand side of the image (I want to use the Transparent image for a motion intro to a video).

When I load my images into Paint.Net and click "Edge-Detect", the "shadowy" appearance seems to be in the area where the Edge Detect is not covered. Strength is "0.50" and Blurring is "0.00". Please help me know how I can get rid of the delineation between what is transparent (on the left of the screen) and what is not (to the right of a big slash on the right)!  Thanks for any and all of your help!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16l-k3XUFagyZv1tiJEgOlTc2jmrNHNWMB6BKROx85DE/edit

Transparent Background-Blue lettering-website - Remove Shadow 2.png

2 hours ago, mm7916 said:

I am trying to create a Transparent image on my .JPG file

JPGs do not support transparency. You will need to save it in another format, like PNG.

2 hours ago, mm7916 said:

it has a shadow-looking area on the right-hand side of the image

This is likely the result of non-uniformity in the black background. The fix is to identify the shadow area and fill it with the same black shade as the rest of the background.

How? Use the magic wand on the background and slowly increase the Tolerance until all of the background is selected.

Edge Detect didn't mess up - it correctly processed the image. The fault here is that the plain black background isn't as uniform as it appears to the naked eye.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply! I was mistaken in that it is a PNG file rather than a JPG.  I have tried several solutions, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't think. Here is what I have tried so far, with the corresponding results...

PN - Transparent.png

PN - Default Settings.png

PN -Strength .75.png

PN - Blur 1.5.png

@mm7916 your image is not fully transparent.  Why don't you go to https://www.remove.bg/

You can, afterwards, add a layer of your background color :)

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

7 minutes ago, mm7916 said:

Here is one of my four original PNG files (different variations...)

Transparent Background-Blue lettering-website.png

When you click on the image, you may notice the colors are inverted, then there is a border on the right hand side, especially bottom right...

There's a partially transparent gradient at the bottom right, it's what is being detected as an edge (since it's not the same color as the fully transparent area - even fully transparent pixels have color information, even if you can't see it). There's no easy way to completely clean it out without plugins, but Pyrochild's Curves+ is one option.

These settings will turn the slightly transparent parts into fully transparent ones: alpha channel, draw straight lines, move the bottom left control point rightwards. Important parts highlighted in red.

image.png.1aa506a04c604aca968e4bccebbf98bf.png

The resulting edge detect in the bottom right corner:

image.png.bf33c7acc41530fc606c25681f6779dd.png

Edited by frio
no, the other left
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the insights! I download Curves+, but don't see "Alpha" as an option on the dropdown (I only see Luminosity and RGB). Where do I go to slide the "Alpha" from left to right? Am I not in the right place? Here is my menu...

PN - Curves Menu.png

PN - Menu.png

• Solution

The Alpha setting adjustment from Curves+ did it! Thank you all so very much!  I've been working to fix this for two weeks now! You are the best!

If I run into any other issues, I will let you know! Thanks again...

• Like 2