Paint.Net 5.x MSIX Package

Andi

With 4.x there have never been any problems with packaging as an Microsoft MSIX package. Only "Updates" could not be deactivated in the configuration settings or the function was not available at all. Paint.net has therefore recognised that it is running in a Helium virtualisation. Probably because of the UWP Paint.net in the Store with the same code base.  Now 5.x is out and I just can't get it to run and I have tried everything like "Unvirtualize" tags in the AppXManifest, no access violations in the file system etc. I almost suspect Paint.Net (even the portable version) recognises that it is being started in a virtual environment and then just quits. Does anyone here have info or an idea about the problem?

1 hour ago, Andi said:

Does anyone here have info or an idea about the problem?

What is "Helium virtualisation", is that some kind of sandbox environment?

Do you have a crash log?

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

With the Microsoft MSIX Packaging Tool, a Windows can be packaged in a modern format https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9N5LW3JBCXKF. This can be used, for example, for distribution with Configuration Manager (SCCM/MECM) or InTune or for store applications. It is a Sanbox (MS Helium) - the same one in which all modern applications run under Windows (including Paint.net from the Store). Only when I build such a package myself, PDN seems to simply quit. I don't see any access violations or paths not being found in the Process Monitor. I only notice that the thread is terminated quite quickly. I don't have any logs and the event log is also inconspicuous. Can logging be activated for PDF? Maybe for .net core with a json config?

18 hours ago, Andi said:

I almost suspect Paint.Net (even the portable version) recognises that it is being started in a virtual environment and then just quits.

It detects it's running in the APPX container and that the package information is wrong. This is to prevent plagiarism on the Microsoft Store, which was a big problem earlier this year.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg