paint.net 5.0.8 is now available!

The biggest visible change in this release are some touch-ups to the Colors window. The Primary/Secondary dropdown has been removed, and instead the color boxes themselves will indicate which is the active color. In addition, inconsistencies with left/right clicking for selecting colors have been ironed out. The Colors window will also remember whether it was expanded (More vs. Less) across app sessions.

image.png

Another notable change is that, by popular request, the key to hold down for centered shape drawing and uniform resizing has been changed from Ctrl to Alt. This ensures it won't interfere with Ctrl + Mouse Wheel zooming.

Get the Update

There are two releases of Paint.NET:

• Microsoft Store release (recommended)
  • Classic Desktop release
    • Download the installer from the website. This is the recommended download if you don't have Paint.NET installed. It can also be used to update the app.
    • If you already have it installed, you should be offered the update automatically within the next few days, but you can also get it immediately by going to ⚙ Settings -> Updates -> Check Now.
    • Offline Installers and Portable ZIPs are available over on GitHub.

Change Log

Changes since v5.0.7:

• Improved: The primary/secondary dropdown in the Colors window has been removed. The active color is now indicated in the color box itself.
  • Improved: The Colors window will now remember whether it's in the expanded state (More vs. Less).
  • Fixed: In the Colors window, left clicking in the color wheel or the color palette will always set the active color, and right clicking will always set the inactive color. This was not always consistent before.
  • Changed: The key for centered shape drawing and uniform resizing has been changed from Ctrl to Alt so that it does not collide with zooming with the mouse (Ctrl + Mouse Wheel)
  • Fixed: The keyboard shortcut for previous/next tab is now Ctrl + Page Up/Down, to match other applications
  • New: You can now use Ctrl + Shift + Page Up/Down to move the current tab left or right
  • Fixed: The printing UI is now run out-of-process, which should fix a slew of reliability problems (hangs, crashes)
  • Fixed: The "Add Color" button in the Colors window was often showing the wrong color
  • Fixed: Effects -> Noise -> Median was incorrectly causing transparent pixels (#00000000) to turn into slightly transparent, almost black (#01010101)
  • New: Primitive structs (e.g. RectInt32, Vector4Float) now implement IParsable<T> (for plugin developers)
  • Fixed: UnaryPixelOps.Invert now works correctly, which was broken in the 5.0 release (for plugin developers)
  • Updated the bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 1.12.1.0, which, which improves support for swizzled BC3/DXT5 normal maps (e.g. DOOM 3), and support for loading textures with an incorrect DDS_PIXELFORMAT size (e.g. FlatOut 2) (thanks @null54!)
  • Updated the bundled WebPFileType plugin to version 1.3.18.0 (thanks @null54!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

42 minutes ago, treston.colson said:

Blocked by Windows Defender!

"Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml"

This is just Defender's way of saying "I don't even know why, but I don't like this." This is a heuristic detection that more often than not comes up flagging legit files. Look up the term if you're curious. I coded myself a Hangman game some months ago that kept getting flagged by Defender when compiled, it's pretty much brain-dead and/or paranoid.

Edited by Coornio

After the changes it doesn't seem like uniform resizing exists at all. Ctrl does nothing, shift locks it to a square, and alt centres the resizing.

Even if it did work, I'm... not sure about this change. Why does it matter if zoom and resize are on the same modifier? Just... stop holding the modifier for a moment while you scroll up or down? It's not like doing that commits your resize.

I think those common requests are less a matter of the bindings having an inherent flaw and more an issue of just... people not having learned them yet.

Thanks for the updates to the colours panel, though! These are great changes.

[Edit: There's something I'm not understanding with the new bindings, because now shift is doing uniform resizing instead of locking it to a square. What changed?]

Edited by Aarilight

3 hours ago, Aarilight said:

Why does it matter if zoom and resize are on the same modifier? Just... stop holding the modifier for a moment while you scroll up or down? It's not like doing that commits your resize.

I think those common requests are less a matter of the bindings having an inherent flaw and more an issue of just... people not having learned them yet.

I think it's actually an issue of you not appreciating what the Ctrl centring problem was and how it broke people's workflow.

There were several posts about it, here's one by way of example:
https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/122615-any-way-to-disable-the-504-centering-feature-that-happens-when-you-press-down-ctrl-whilst-using-the-linecurve-tool/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aarilight said:

There's something I'm not understanding with the new bindings, because now shift is doing uniform resizing instead of locking it to a square.

Shift does constrain to a square, circle, etc

Alt draws from the centre

Ctrl + mousewheel zooms

@Aarilight, yeah this was something that a lot of folks were unhappy about. Since this was a new feature being used by fewer people, the mouse wheel zooming had to take precedence.

It was also interfering with the older but not well known feature of “stamping” — if you hold Ctrl with the Move Selected Pixels tool when doing the initial move/resize/rotate, it will make a copy instead of just moving.

There is also a (new) bug where Alt+Tab will leave the state of Alt “stuck” when you come back. So if you have Shapes or Line/Curve active, then Alt+Tab away from Paint.NET, then click back into Paint.NET, then draw a shape/line, it will use centered drawing even though you aren’t holding Alt. This may be adding some confusion. I’ll be fixing this soon in a 5.0.9 update. You can workaround this for now by just tapping Alt again.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg