Why does the color palette sometimes disappear?

Go to solution Solved by BoltBait,

4 hours ago, Disk4mat said:

Есть ли у вас нестандартные поддоны? Если да, то есть ли у вас больше, чем несколько? Если да, я бы попробовал временно удалить их и посмотреть, решит ли это проблему.

What does pallets mean?

3 hours ago, Рома said:

What does pallets mean?

@Disk4mat meant "palettes".

He was asking whether you have created any custom palettes? See the 'Manage color palettes' button where you can save and load palettes and see the documentation here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithPalettes.html.

However, it doesn't seem likely that this is the cause of the problem since the color palettes are just files on disk and the folders that contain them appear to be scanned only when you click the 'Manage color palettes' button. If I create a huge number of palette files (> 200) then it does takes several seconds to pop-up the palettes list but it doesn't affect the operation of the Colors window in any other way.

• Like 1

Basically, tell us; were you using a custom palette or not?

The default palette should look like this:

image.png.4decd3b8d915fdfc94be61408d8ec211.png

If this wasn’t the palette you were using, then you must’ve been using a custom palette.

Also, have you tried closing and reopening the color window? I vaguely remember having your problem once, and I fixed in about two clicks/presses of a key.

Try closing it with the F8 key, and then open it again by pressing the same key, and it should reappear, fully functional.

Edited by BlastOfBN
  • Like 1

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

17 hours ago, Рома said:

It's inconvenient to press Ctrl+Shift+F8 every time

Once the window is reset, you won't need to use this key combination again (unless you lose it again).

The key combination locks the window into the original location. It should move with the main app window unless you deliberately drag it away.

6 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

It should move with the main app window unless you deliberately drag it away.

You know, there was a time where I accidentally dragged the Toolbox window off the screen (I don't remember how I did this, and what I was trying to do, but I do know that this wasn't on purpose), which did make me panic for a couple of seconds, but I did bring it back onto the screen through the keyboard combination of Ctrl + Shift + F5, and that did bring it back to its default position.

This isn't just some backstory I told out of boredom, but my attempt of further proving that resetting/reopening the color window should fix the problem. I don't see why it wouldn't.

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

@poma if the window is getting in the way, hide it with the F8 key rather than dragging it away. F8 again will make it reappear.

On 7/23/2023 at 7:14 PM, Tactilis said:

@Disk4mat meant "palettes".

He was asking whether you have created any custom palettes? See the 'Manage color palettes' button where you can save and load palettes and see the documentation here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithPalettes.html.

However, it doesn't seem likely that this is the cause of the problem since the color palettes are just files on disk and the folders that contain them appear to be scanned only when you click the 'Manage color palettes' button. If I create a huge number of palette files (> 200) then it does takes several seconds to pop-up the palettes list but it doesn't affect the operation of the Colors window in any other way.

Ah, then no, I have never used palette add-ons.

My palette folder is empty.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:58 AM, BlastOfBN said:

Basically, tell us; were you using a custom palette or not?

The default palette should look like this:

image.png.4decd3b8d915fdfc94be61408d8ec211.png

If this wasn’t the palette you were using, then you must’ve been using a custom palette.

Also, have you tried closing and reopening the color window? I vaguely remember having your problem once, and I fixed in about two clicks/presses of a key.

Try closing it with the F8 key, and then open it again by pressing the same key, and it should reappear, fully functional.

No, mine looks the same as yours, I didn't set the palettes.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:58 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Once the window is reset, you won't need to use this key combination again (unless you lose it again).

The key combination locks the window into the original location. It should move with the main app window unless you deliberately drag it away.

Hm, good! I will check if it happens again I will write