Broken Paint.Net Files

I tried opening some files of mine, but instead I receive the: 
"there was an error while opening the file"
Here's the rest of the information: 

Exception:

System.FormatException: file is not a valid paint.net document
   at PaintDotNet.Document.FromStream(Stream stream) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Data\Document.cs:line 1354
   at PaintDotNet.Data.PdnFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Data\PdnFileType.cs:line 31
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Data\FileType.cs:line 498
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Anything I can do about this?

10 hours ago, SebG said:

D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Seems you have it in "D" drive - perhaps that's why?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 minute ago, Pixey said:

Seems you have it in "D" drive - perhaps that's why?

This line is for developers (it's called stack trace by programmers). It basically shows the path and line of the source code where the error is happening. So the developers can examine the code and act if required. In this case, it's on Rick's computer, not user's.

Only the first line has importance for end-users: file is not a valid paint.net document.

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, otuncelli said:

It basically shows the path and line of the source code where the error is happening.

Many thanks for explaining that tidbit @otuncelli 😁 As you can see, I'm not that familiar with code.

There is a Plugin @SebG called "What's It" that proffers this:   Sorry, there seems to be an issue with this Plugin and the latest version of Paint.net (now working again).

"If Paint.NET fails to open an image then you may check with this tool if the
file extension is wrong and correct it."

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@SebG
You can use a freeware called 'Metadata++' to examine the questionable image for its EXIF data and the app will reveal its file type.

Here is a link to the web site where the app can be downloaded:
Logipole - Official Homepage of Metadata++, Konvertor, Flash 32 and Albm++

(BTW- If you are not keen on dark mode, goto the settings in Metadata++ and uncheck it)

Edited by HyReZ