[Plugin Request] FileType Plugin for Krita's (.kra) "WiP files"...

In my journey across the land of PaintDotNet I've seen many different file types: GIFs, PSDs, aWEBPs, ZIPs, etc. Feel free to pull up a seat and gather 'round for a plugin request, all dressed up as a short story for [your] enjoyment. 

It was a brutally colder than a witch's "you-know-what" (A-F) type of night when I wandered into unfamiliar territory and came across a GIMP FileType Plugin. Of course that's beyond awesome, with the only down side being that my pen tablet had such a very hard time playing nicely with Gimp that I had to take my artistic "biz" over to Krita instead. So far, the Krita/PdN universe is where my Huion Kamvas 13 works so much more happily and near perfectly --- which Krita saves project files in much the same way that Gimp does.

Of course Krita is a very different kind of artistry program from that of PaintDotNet with it's emphasis on photo manipulation 'n minor-art editing like in the case of creating/fixing Vectors or run-of-the-mill ClipArt. However Krita (from what I've been able to gather so far) is more for the "blank canvas-to-amazeballz art" which focuses primarily on graphic artistry.

Frankly... for the textures I make for games like Skyrim, I need both of these programs. So far I've been ripping hair out just attempting to go back and forth between PdN & Krita; which "b-t-w" lags like crazy 'n 90% of the time results in epic crashing with a 45% chance of complete system reboot being needed. I'd have to go back and forth a heck of a lot less if I could open/save .KRAs with PdN. Anybody out there able to make this possible?  If I'm left to do it myself, unfortunately it'll be quite a long time before I'm free from my team's current WiP which sucks up an outrageous amount of brain-power from simply attempting to learn Papyrus as I go. I can't imagine what would become of my sad little think-muscle if I had no choice but to deal or tackle it myself. 

Or maybe, it's all because I picked up a brain-slug during my trek down "Witch's ***** Trail"? PS --- I'm so frigg'n frozen right now. Did I mention that? I guess all that's left for me to do is thank any/all who give this request a moment of their time in advance for their help/input/work on ( all...not just my requested) plugins. However, if you need me, I'll be spooning my oscillating heater. What?  Warmth + Entertainment = Warm 'n Entertained!  No brainer, right?

4 hours ago, PunkN13 said:

Anybody out there able to make this possible?

I looked into this a while back, Krita's internal kra format only has a merged layer image that is documented for other applications to use.

The Krita manual recommends using the OpenRaster ora file format if you need to share layered images with other applications, see https://docs.krita.org/en/general_concepts/file_formats/file_ora.html#file-ora.

Paint.NET has a FileType plugin to open and save OpenRaster files: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/20984-openraster-filetype

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

On 2/5/2022 at 5:13 AM, null54 said:

I looked into this a while back, Krita's internal kra format only has a merged layer image that is documented for other applications to use.

The Krita manual recommends using the OpenRaster ora file format if you need to share layered images with other applications, see https://docs.krita.org/en/general_concepts/file_formats/file_ora.html#file-ora.

Paint.NET has a FileType plugin to open and save OpenRaster files: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/20984-openraster-filetype

Thank you very much for the info!  I'll look into it now!

On 2/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, Reptillian said:

The openraster is better for this, and it's in need of a update. Maybe you could bring this up in a open source forum to get that going?

Not really an experienced "poster" here lol... I believe my first post was missing tags and such and moved but I can't remember exactly what I did wrong.  This one seemed ok tho.  I'll get a post together anyway; can't know without trying I guess.