When importing image into paint.net it gets washed out.

Whenever I put this image into paint .net it always seems to be less vibrant and more washed out in paint than in anything else I view it in.
I think this may have something to do with it's metadata because it was exported in lightroom to the .png format, but I have tried converting it to no luck.
wgyyy.PNG

👍 Glad you got it sorted. Welcome to the forum :)

For others reading this, another couple of ways to 'enchance' colors:

1. Duplicate the layer and set the blend mode of the new layer to Multiply (you may need to adjust the Opacity of the layer too).
  2. Adjustments > Hue / Saturation. Tweak the Saturation up a few points & take the Lightness down a similar amount.

the colorspace information is probably in the metadata if it's not sRGB, so could this have been a bug in paint.net for a less-used format? It might be useful to know for sure. And know what the format was to see if:
- that format is supported by paint.net
- the issue reproduces with that format

because in that case this could be a useful repro we can't usually see. Just my 2 cents

Paint.NET will read color space/context/profile metadata and will preserve it when you save, but otherwise does nothing with it. There's no bug, but it may not behave as you expect. Some day PDN may become color profile aware, but that requires a lot of stuff to be added/changed and it's not a priority at this time.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 year later...

The problem I get is that I load a png with no cHRM or iCCP chunks, but when I save it these chunks have been magicked from somewhere, so the image now appears washed out in software that takes heed of this information (such as Window Explorer). The original image looks correct everywhere. I'm having to work around this by removing the chunks with a script...