Problems with spacemouse Enterprise

ATDYN

Hi everyone!
I wonder if anyone have the same problem as me when we got the latest software update?
I use and have always used the 3D Connexion Spacemouse enterprice and its basic functions to control my paint.net software with my wacom tablet (basic controls and basic joystick function).

But now when I got the latest version of paint.net my enterprise mouse suddenly stopped working. The only thing working are the button commands on the enterprise, but the joystick itself wont work at all (gotta press the CTRL button first but still the joystick does nothing)
I wondered if anyone had the same problem as me or how I can fix it as soon as possible.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to reply to to this very old thread.

But I have also problems with using the 3DConnexion Spacemouse.

It is just possible to move top/down but not left/right or to zoom. Is there a possibility to implement this or do I need to activate something?

I don't know. I'm not familiar with that mouse, nor do I know how it communicates with apps, e.g. does it use WM_MOUSEHWHEEL to send left/right scrolling commands or something? It looks very intriguing, but also expensive so I can't really justify buying one for the sake of 2 people over 4 years (OP posted in 2019). If there is documentation, especially "for developers," that would give me more insight to work with.

Do make sure you're using the latest version of Paint.NET -- there have been many changes to the input stack, especially with v5.0.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

2 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

If there is documentation, especially "for developers," that would give me more insight to work with.

3DConnexion has a developer program with SDKs: https://3dconnexion.com/us/software-developer-program/

I have not examined those SDKs because you must join their developer program to access them.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, null54 said:

3DConnexion has a developer program with SDKs: https://3dconnexion.com/us/software-developer-program/

I have not examined those SDKs because you must join their developer program to access them.

Having just bought one of these, I'm a convert. It occurred to me that it might be an interesting project to get it working more fully with Paint.NET (they work with Photoshop, apparently), but the open source I'd vaguely remembered seems to have been a memory from over ten years ago! Are any parts of Paint.NET code published anywhere?

6 hours ago, Mike W said:

Are any parts of Paint.NET code published anywhere?

No.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

I've managed to get this to work better, albeit in a rudimentary fashion. By default, the x-axis rotation will scroll the image up and down on the screen, but no other movements have any effect. Manual editing of the Paint.NET xml file* in %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg allows the other rotation axes to scroll left / right and zoom. Add (or amend) the <AxisBank> section for the relevant axes to the following:

<Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <Modifiers>
              <Modifier>Shift</Modifier>
            </Modifiers>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rz</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <Modifiers>
              <Modifier>Control</Modifier>
            </Modifiers>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>

If desired, one of the translation axes (probably the Z axis) could be substituted for zoom using HIDMultiAxis_Z (or equivalent) for the ActionID instead of HIDMultiAxis_Rz.

The drawback with this approach is that the SpaceMouse is emulating the mouse wheel for all three degrees of freedom, with modifier keys to vary the function. This means that only one will work at once, which makes navigation a bit clunky. It's also possible to emulate the mouse (HIDMouse_X, etc.) and use <Modifier>MiddleMouse</Modifier> to activate scrolling. Although this actually gives a really nice, natural movement, the mouse pointer obviously also moves around, which defeats the point of having a separate controller.

Rather than implementing 3D Connexion specific input, a possibility which @Rick may want to consider is supporting joystick control for scrolling and zooming. This has the more general benefit of allowing gaming controllers as well as 3D Connexion devices to be used. There is some manual work involved in activating it, but the SpaceMouse drivers ship with an example XML file that configures Joystick emulation.

*The config file may not be present or correctly populated. Details on forcing the 3DxWare software to create it are here: https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?p=75352#p75352