How to "posterize"?

Well, I was making a new cli command that does modulo operations for the g'mic plugin (which is available here), and I experimented. I think I got close to the OP needs. I forgot some of the steps though. But I"ll probably remember. All done with G'MIC. If I do remember the step, I'll definitely recreate what I did and turn it into a G'MIC filter. I think it is just solarization of channels and a little bit more manipulation for the most part. Solarization is available here.

image.png.59670ffd8c2564f3d5e7f6b0c05f40e9.png

Also, saving this for later. This is just a reference for later use.

rgb2lch8

mod_ops 3,255,{(128/2)/255},1

lch82rgb

image.png

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

@welshblue
After over a dozen layers and about a half dozen effects plugins; this what I came up with after 8 iterations and about 2.5 hours of experimentation and editing down to the pixel level. 

This is iteration 8. I liked the colors in iteration 7 but the face was not as recognizable. To get this; I used the built-in Adjustments/Hue /  Saturation  effect on iteration 7, and adjusted the Hue slider by tiny increments to find this final color range.

(I am looking for an easier method. This project helped! 🙂)

Chelsea_008.jpg

Edited by HyReZ
Correcting spelling and adding more nfo!

29 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

(I am looking for an easier method. This project helped! 🙂 )

If you haven't tried pyrochild's Gradient Mapping plugin, you might want to experiment with it. It lets you map image intensity levels (among other things) to colors. If you already have it, as part of pyrochild's plugin pack, it will be in the Adjustments menu.

• Like 1

I placed my image that I just posted above over the 7th iteration and erased the jersey so that the bottom layer image jersey was revealed. I then feathered the edges of top layer and merged it down to get this new iteration number 9.

Chelsea_010A.jpg

Edited by HyReZ