Complication with Boltbait's Bevel Selection

Heyla,

I was playing with making some jewelry designs, and converting the "paint" to "metal" using Steps 5-12 of Barbieque's jewelry tutorial.

It wasn't coming out.

Then I noticed that when I set the colors in Bevel Selection, they did not look like solid colors -- they were faded out.

I assume I've somehow done something wrong, but I've done this before without issue. This is what I see.

https://imgur.com/a/rDN5Ntq

I'm not sure how to get it back to solid color, which I think would solve my problem.

16 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

when I set the colors in Bevel Selection, they did not look like solid colors

This is a visual anomaly with Paint.NET v4.1.1.  All plugins with standard colorwheels have this issue at the moment. It will be fixed in the next release.

BTW, even though the color swatch shows alpha, it really doesn't have alpha. The plugins work normally.

5 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

This is a visual anomaly with Paint.NET v4.1.1.  All plugins with standard colorwheels have this issue at the moment. It will be fixed in the next release.

BTW, even though the color swatch shows alpha, it really doesn't have alpha. The plugins work normally.

Except that they don't. 

I have eight layers, each with a hexagon at a slight angle to the layer below it. When I do the Bevel Selection on them, this is what I get. (Yes, I am saving between sequences.)

https://imgur.com/ee3At4x

Hi @Marilynx I noticed that you are using an older version of @BoltBait's Bevel Selection Plugin.  I used a later version (4.5) and my colors don't look faded like yours.

BB_s_Bevel_Selection_4.5.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Sorry - double post ?.  Thought I'd do a quick screen capture of the Bevel Selection result (forgive me, I've got some new software and need the practice too)

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

2 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hi @Marilynx I noticed that you are using an older version of @BoltBait's Bevel Selection Plugin.

@Pixey, I haven't actually released that version of Bevel Selection yet. ?

@Marilynx, come back this weekend and I'll release an update of my plugin pack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoltBait said:

@Pixey, I haven't actually released that version of Bevel Selection yet. ?

@Marilynx, come back this weekend and I'll release an update of my plugin pack.

Ooooops - I'm sorry about that @BoltBait I thought it was from your last published Pack.  I did check twice, and still assumed it was the old one ?

@Marilynx I had been playing with @BoltBait's Beta Plugin and should not have posted that tutorial using it.  But, luckily @BoltBait is soon to let us all have the use of his new, souped-up Pack :)

30b8T8B.gif

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Well, I've published my updated plugins, so no harm done!

phew-smiley-emoticon.gif

I hope @Marilynx will enjoy the new great updated Plugins ..... especially the Bevel Selection she was using :)

30b8T8B.gif

On 9/22/2018 at 1:36 PM, Pixey said:

phew-smiley-emoticon.gif

I hope @Marilynx will enjoy the new great updated Plugins ..... especially the Bevel Selection she was using :)

Well, I have snagged a copy of them. Now I just have to figure out how to install them and update. Would have done this sooner except I was dealing with a root canal.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:30 PM, BoltBait said:

Well, I've published my updated plugins, so no harm done!

Duly snagged, and donated. (Given how often I use Selection Bevel, I'd've donated more, BTW.) Just have to figure out how to update and install them. Are the file names the same? Do I just overwrite? Or do I have to find and remove the old files and then add the new ones?

14 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

Duly snagged, and donated. (Given how often I use Selection Bevel, I'd've donated more, BTW.)

Thanks! Bevel is one of my favorite plugins too.

14 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

Do I just overwrite?

On that thread, click the big blue download button. Unzip the downloaded file. Run the installer.  Carefully check all the boxes for the things you want installed. Then, after agreeing to the license agreement, click the Install button.  When prompted, click "overwrite".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:53 PM, BoltBait said:

Thanks! Bevel is one of my favorite plugins too.

On that thread, click the big blue download button. Unzip the downloaded file. Run the installer.  Carefully check all the boxes for the things you want installed. Then, after agreeing to the license agreement, click the Install button.  When prompted, click "overwrite".

Got it. I like that installer. Much easier than unzipping everything, and then having to find the correct directory to copy them to, and worrying whether I got the right one the next time I fire up PDN.

• 3 weeks later...

BoltBait,

Do not know if this is feasible, but you know what would make Selection Bevel faster to use for me? 

An option to set the Shadow and the Highlight to either the Primary or the Secondary color. Then, if, say, I am doing something in gold, I can pick my gold shades from my "metallic"  palette as primary and secondary, and then click inside Selection Bevel to set the Highlight and Shadow to those. As it is, I have to make notes of the colors I use regularly, and hand-enter each color each time I use it.

@BoltBait

Giving up the reset buttons to add the transparency control was a great idea. It's easy to change the color to black.

To build on @Marilynx s request could not all the SelectionTools.DLL and ObjectTools.DLL open with Primary and Secondary(if applicable) colors?

Another Option;

Adding a switch or button to all the effects contained in SelectionTools.DLL and ObjectTools.DLL would add more functionality to this already great set of tools.

The switch/button would inherit the values of the primary/secondary colors.

Here is a quicklist of the effects involved that I hope will help.

4.3                                                                                             4.5

ObjectTools.DLL

Bevel Object                               Opens with B/W                                                                   Opens with B/W
                                           Reset buttons changes to B/W                                                         No Reset

Outline Object                     Opens with Primary Color                                                 Opens with Primary Color
                                           Reset button to Primary Color                                                          No Reset

Inner Shadow                              Opens with B                                                                        Opens with B
                                                   Reset button to B                                                                         No Reset                                
Object Shadow                           Opens with B                                                                           Opens with B
                                                  Reset button to B                                                                          No Reset

SelectionTools.DLL

Outline Selection                    Opens with Primary Color                                              Opens with Primary Color
                                              Reset button to Primary Color                                                       No Reset

Bevel Selection                           Opens with B/W                                                               Opens with B/W
                                            Reset buttons changes to B/W                                                       No Reset

Inner Shadow Selection             Opens with B                                                                      Opens with B
                                                    Reset button to B                                                                      No Reset
                                                                                                                                     Name changed to Inner Shadow
                                                                                                                                        (as shown in plugin browser)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png